Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow? >

Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow?

Old 08-28-2004, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow?

I have 160-acres of private land that I have permission to hunt on. I am the only person that has permission to hunt this land. I have been scouting this land from a distance for the last month.
I have been watching a solid 170-class buck every evening feeding on this land. His bedding area is on another piece of private land that no one is allowed to hunt on. There are no trees on this land to hang a stand from. The entire 160-acres is wide open, level & planted with alfalfa. I own a pop-up ground blind that I can use.
My problem is my NERVES! I am so scared if I bow hunt this land I might blow him out of there without ever getting a shot?[] I know I need to focus all of my attention on sticking this buck a.s.a.p.!
Every night that I watch this buck feed I wonder if I should leave this land alone until rifle season opens up? IF the buck is still there during rifle season? With a rifle I have a much better chance of getting a shot at him?
Archery season limits my range to 30-yards. Rifle season limits my range to 400-yards.
I get sooooooo excited every time this buck walks out in the field to feed, I feel like a little kid again.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you hunt a 170"-class buck with a bow?

I would definatly go after him with a bow!!
Old 08-28-2004, 02:20 PM

I'd hunt him for sure. Many good bucks have been taken out of ground blinds. Be extra cautious of scent control and wind when hunting him though. Who's to say that he'll even be in the area come rifle season. Bucks have been documented to move miles upon miles during the rut after hot does (depending on when your rut is). IMO, you'd be a fool not to go after that boy with a bow. Good luck
Old 08-28-2004, 02:26 PM

I agree with legacy. Hunt him while you can because who knows where that booger will be come rifle season. I hope you get him!
Old 08-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't even call it a trophy if it wasn't shot with a bow.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

go get em!!! Find a spot to ambush him, in a ground blind or a in a peice of fallen timber, he might not be there or some one else might get him
Old 08-28-2004, 02:51 PM

I would hunt him EVERY chance I got. Go after him with the bow.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

If the farmer bails the alfalfa use the bails to make a ground blind and put a chunk of plywood over the top for the roof. I read about a guy doing this a while ago and he had great success. The farmer did help him out allowing him to use the bails. They cover your scent well and block wind well too!!!

Good luck and go get him!!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 03:36 PM

Use your bow.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow?

Are you kidding ,Absolutely I'd be hunting with a bow if you don't someone else might get him before you do .I'd be a little extra careful with scent control and use doe estrous with some mock scrapes to get him to come a little closer . For sure Bowhunt him when you take him it'll be just that much more speacial.

nubo

Quick Reply: Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.