Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow? >

Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow?

Old 08-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow?

I second the blind made of hay bales. Get it made now so he has time to get used to it. Be sure to only hunt it when the wind is right.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nubo do scents and scrapes work right in the middle of a field?
Old 08-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

You are dang tootin you should hunt for him with a bow. Be patient and hunt only when the wind is in your favor. Keep a log of when and where you are sighting him and try to use that to your advantage also.

Remember, 320 acres is nothing to a whitetail buck when the rut comes. He will most likely roam great distances to find does in estrous, so the chances of him going on other land hunted by others is high, especially as the rut nears.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:12 PM

is there any other way to hunt - please tell me- start practicing at 60 yards i have for ten + years and anything under forty will come a whole lot easier and your nervousness will diminish drastically. if you feel confident at 50 yards everything else is reflex
Old 08-28-2004, 07:51 PM

BOWHUNT that deer , you will be a happy man one day . hell Ray Charles use to gun hunt !
Old 08-28-2004, 09:07 PM

Amen fieldmouse! use your bow, if you blow it maybe you'll get a crack at him in rifle season.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went out & watched him feed again tonight. I got a hunting plan together. I will be archery hunting out of a pop-up blind.
My archery season opens up September-4th. I will start hunting him during the evening every night that the wind is right. My rifle season opens up October-24th. If I don't get him with my bow? I will watch for him during rifle season.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:51 PM

Around here, if i happened to see a buck like that on more than one occasion in the same field, i would certainly try and bow hunt him because there is no way that i would catch a mature buck in a field later on in the fall (during rifle season). The bucks are pretty much feeding at night in the alfalfa fields during rifle season. The only way to catch them in rifle season in a field is when they are trailing a hot doe. So I guess it depends on your area. If there is a chance the buck won't be there later on, you won't gain anything by waiting. The setup will be tricky however... using bales as a basis for a blind might be the best way to go. good luck!
Old 08-28-2004, 11:48 PM

I would hunt him every chance the wind allows you to.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of him would ya???
Old 08-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a heart beat. I have taken deer with a bow while hunting on a fence row. The last time I did this I didn't even have a blind. Just play the wind and let him have it. Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: Would you hunt this 170"-class buck with a bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.