Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

mechanical broadheads?

Old 01-13-2003, 11:38 PM

Default mechanical broadheads?

which is the better broadhead the rockets or spitfires
Old 01-14-2003, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mechanical broadheads?

I would say neither is better or worse. It depends on what rocket you are talking about, and what you want the head to do. The Spitfires are sharper, and stronger, but they are slower to open. The rockets need their blades touched up before hunting, but they open quick. Some of the rocket mechanicals penetrate as well as fixed blade heads, while others have huge cutting diameters that cuase a lot of damage. If you give me the specs on your bow, either Kinetic energy levels or draw weight, arrow weight, speed ( if you know it) or type of bow and your draw length I can give you my opinions on what head I would choose with that setup.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-14-2003, 03:50 PM

5 shot-- I use a new 2003 Hoyt Ultratec with xt2000 limbs cam & 1/2 cams 28" draw length shot 62# hope this helps so you can let me know which broadhead to use either spitfire 100 grain or the rocket sidewinders 100 grain thanks for your help.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without knowing your arrow weight and bow speed I can only guess. I would think you probably have just enough KE ( around 55 ft/lbs) to use either head effectivly. My first choices would be the Rocky Snyper, steel head 100, then the sidewinders and spitfires. Both the sidewinders and spitfires will work for you, but you are probably on the edge of having enough KE. The Snypers and Steelheads will penetrate a lot better with your setup. If you go with the Sidewinders and or spitfires make sure you take only good broadside shots( somthing we should do anyway), and fine tune your bow for the best possible arrow flight ( agian something that should be done with any head).

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-15-2003, 05:27 PM

rockets are better in my opinion. they open much faster and penetrate better than the spitfires. I have used both and was really disapointed inthe spitfires performance on animals. the rockets performed much better and yielded pass throughs while the spitfire never gave me a pass through.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have had great results with the Spitfire 100gr. As a matter of fact I shot a deer this morning at 34 yds, my longest shot ever on a deer and got a complete pass thru. I have to tell you though that he was standing broadside and I did hit the sweetspot, but it was a pass thru nonetheless.
Personally, I think those that are not getting pass thrus with some of the better mechanicals are shooting setups that dont have enough KE or are just not hitting the sweetspot. I dont think you are going to get pass thrus with any broadhead, fixed or mechanical if you dont hit the right spot.
Just my opinion.

hc4runner
MO. bowhunter
Old 01-16-2003, 05:40 PM

I've hunted with both and was disapointed with the Spitfires. I did take 2 deer with Spitfires but on the second when retrieving the blade I noticed that one of the blades had never opened. Also had a customer who told me of an antelope he shot with a Spitfire. The arrow passed through the heart. When field dressing the antelope they could see the definate broadhead pattern through the heart and could see that only two blade had opened. I switched to Rocket heads and use the Stealheads for deer and will use the Hammerheads on turkey this spring. They will definately open on impact. Just be sure to keep an eye on the o-rings and replace when they look a little worn.

Jon
=========================
www.HuntingBlind.com
Your source for Double Bull blinds.
Customer satisfaction is our #1 priortity!
=========================
Old 01-16-2003, 07:54 PM

Hi,

Definitely go with the Rockets,match your equipment to the right size and set up.The spitefires are well made just poorly designed.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:55 AM

Definatley Rockets.

Look at their fixed blade (Ultimate Steel). I think it will be a great alternative to mechanicals if energy is deficient.