Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting spot suggestions? >

hunting spot suggestions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting spot suggestions?

Old 08-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default hunting spot suggestions?

OK, I did a lot of work today at a new spot. There's 2 of us on 5 acres. We've planted 2 small food plots and 1 mini plot. The place is very cool in that it has like 5 valleys coming together from several ridges and a creek bed that is dry except for a few days after a rain... The trails are well trodden and like 4 or 5 feet wide! But there's lots of them (trails), they are running through there all over the place. When trying to create shooting lanes today we tried to block off some of the trails with some branches and stuff in hopes that we could keep the deer on some key trails. So our idea is to try and hunt the major trails leading to the food plots and the 2nd food plot which doesn't really have a trail to it but borders the well traveled creek.

So can anyone give me an suggestions on what to look for? What to do? Would there be anything you'd do different? The cool thing is that it connects to a much larger section of woods that hold a lot of deer. Check out the pic... See those dark lines through the woods? Those are the valleys. We are right behind (north) of that house pictured there. So what do you all think?

Old 08-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting spot suggestions?

I personally wouldent have blocked off any trails it may alert the deer that somethings wrong in the area and Id just hunt over a food plot or any of the trails especially if any of them have rub lines along them
Old 08-18-2004, 10:46 PM
kec

i have 2 food plots set up on my property (30 acres). I typically only hunt the food plots late in the season (muzzleloader) or (winter bow) so as not to spook them from a food source. I try to intercept them through natural funnels on their way to the food plots or well after leaving the plots. Find where they enter your property and set up at cross trails leading to the plots.

just a suggestion

kec
Old 08-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

I think we feel confident with blocking some trails because there's other major trails to travel and since we're on the way to crop fields we know they'll keep traveling. Also because we've seen a few places where trees had fallen and only the top smaller branches covered an old trail, they just bipassed it naturaly like we hope that they will where we did it manualy. I hope it works out cause we won't be able to change it for a week or two.

That is sort of strategy at this point. We have trees selected in places where we can intercept them on their way (valley funnel) and one guy is right over them.

The problem with not hunting the small food plot is that we're only on 5 acres and there's not a whole lot of places to go that aren't right around the food plots