Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Has anybody ever shot the wrong deer? >

Has anybody ever shot the wrong deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has anybody ever shot the wrong deer?

Old 08-18-2004, 01:10 AM

Default RE: Has anybody ever shot the wrong deer?

I shot what I thought was a nice 8 point that turned out to be a 6 a few years ago. It was chasing a doe, and in the excitement I guess I forgot how to count [8D]
Old 08-18-2004, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did it once with a rifle. Both were big does and somehow in the confusion I shot the wrong deer. What I thought was the front shoulder of the first was the Ham of the other. I was younger and excited I guess. Never had it happen with a bow though.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I ain't never seen NO deer wearing my tag on it that I'd call the 'wrong' deer.
TAG???? TAG??????????????????[8D]
Old 08-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to step forward on this one. I did it with my bow about 3 years ago. 2 doe came walking into my stand through the thickets. There was a large adult with her yearling. I made up my mind to shoot the adult of course, and just needed to wait for the right moment. The yearling was out in front and disappeared behind a large bush about 20 yards away. I knew that when the larger doe did the same I would be able to draw and take the shot as she came out the other side. Sure enough she walked behind the bush, I drew my bow and shot when she re-appeared on the other side. Well, needless to say they played the ole' switch-a-roo. The large one walked in one side and the yearling walked out the other so I shot the wrong one and ended up with the smaller of the two[:'(] Oh well, I still had meat in the freezer, just not as much of it
Old 08-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep--happened to me about 5 years ago during the early season. I had a group of 4 or 5 does out in front of me with the largest behind about 20 yards away broadside. I thought she was unaware of my presence and placed the pin right behind her shoulder. When I shot, she ducked the arrow and I got the one behind her--which moved into the path of the arrow just as I released. It was a good bit smaller than the one I wanted, but she luckily died with-in 25 yards.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Fortunately it has never happened to me, but it happened to my dad last year when I was with him with a rifle. We were culling some does and it was almost dark. A big doe came out and just about the time my dad was going to shoot she ducked behind a big yaupon bush. Well, I told my dad to get ready because she was about to come out the other side. Well, a deer poped out the other side and he shot and dropped her in her tracks. We wend down there to find a doe fawn instead of the big fat doe we were after. So I guess I'm partly responsible for that one but I wasn't the shooter [:@]
Old 08-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Should never happen.
Know your target and what's beyond.
Guess some of us practice more of what we preach.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:03 AM

From the deers perspective..........................

I would say every one of them
Old 08-18-2004, 01:02 PM

Fortunately this has yet to happen to me. If it did I think I'd look at it like ArthurP

I ain't never seen NO deer wearing my tag on it that I'd call the 'wrong' deer. Even if I missed wildly and killed a deer other than the one I was aiming at, I'd figure fate had guided my arrow to kill the 'right' deer
I like your thinking
Old 08-18-2004, 02:21 PM

Last year I drew one of Id.'s trophy mulie hunts, 2.37% drawing odds last year. BIG deer everywhere. Passed on some dandy's like a perfectly symmetrical 5X5 that was really really tall, but was 26 inches wide at best. Passed on a massive 5X6 with a couple of drops and other funky stuff, but again 27 inches at best. I was holding out for a solid 30 incher which this unit does produce. Saw lots of wide 4X4s in the 28 inch range, but I held the "fever" in check for four days. Finally on the 5th day it got the better of me and I put a stalk on mulie that was definitely all of 30. I had the perfect stalk with the wind and terrain and ended up with a perfect shooting rest. When I popped my head up he was about 75 yards (rifle hunt) broadside looking upwind (away) from me, his rack was HUGE. I was shaking so bad, but I took a deep breath, focused right behind his front shoulder, let some breath out and pulled the trigger, down goes Frazier. I got up to him and to my amazement his main beam and G2 were broke off, recent break. I was stunned and taken aback and just couldn't believe my misfortune. I was bumming for a while but the more I looked at the rack and thought about it, that is the way it goes. I had an insane hunt and got into so many deer really close, got to see a bunch of fighting breeding and just learned a lot. It was a great hunt and I won't be fixing the rack. I speculate that he lost at least 2 points, it is a 3X4 now, I think he was a 4X5. He had two eyeguards on one side that were rubbed off, all bloodied, and the rest of his rack showed the signs of some serious battling. When I got him he was with 12-13 does. Oh, and he measured 28.75 inches at the break, I am pretty sure he would have went 30 but I will never know.