Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buck travel routes????? >

Buck travel routes?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck travel routes?????

Old 08-17-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Buck travel routes?????

I was wondering whether bucks travel different routes once split up from bachelor groups. I have a stand site that I just repositioned this year based on two consecutive years of rub lines. This buck has torn up trees, and bushes for the past two years in the same location, and I back tracked his trail up the hill at the end of the season last year, and jumped him at maybe 20 yards out of his bed. He gave me a good look from behind some brush, and he's a good Texas deer. I tried to get on him earlier in the year, and was busted. So I relocated just downwind from his trail two weeks ago, put out a mineral lick by digging it in the ground as I have read about here, and set a trail cam up. As of right now there are no pictures on it. Will he likely start using the route again? The trail still looks used.

Signed;
Faith in my fellow hunters.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck travel routes?????

Well now this is a controversy topic............i'll give u my opinion. I believe when you jump a big trophy buck like that out of his bedroom, he will relocate completely. he wont use the same trails, and wont travel to far from his new home. Some bucks are nomads and travel year round, and some stay in a home range. If u havent seen him this year, chances are he is moved out.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:37 AM

I agree with TF somewhat. There is a pretty good chance that since you jumped him, and have been in the area a little bit, he might be gone. Now, if you can leave that spot completely alone for a while, he might come back. But it will take some time.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:09 PM

I disagree. earlier this summer, i walked into the bed room of a bachelor group. while i didnt bump any, i know there beds were within 30 yards. they still bed in that location. once i go withtin 150 yards of the bedding area, i live that place alone for a while. i think once they come out of velvet, the smaller immature bucks will move to form their own home ranges and core areas. the bucks that arent a year old will stay in their current ranges.maybe your camera is having problems. but if i were you, i would just stay out of the area.

slayer
Old 08-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the input guys even though some of it is a little disconcerting. Maybe I was a bit unclear about when I bumped this deer. I bumped him in January of this year about the second week. I don't know if this makes a difference, but except for setting up the stand which is about 150 yds from his bed; I have pretty much been out of the area. We have regularly used jeep trails that have been their since forever, and pass near this stand location, and I think I saw him about 300 yds on down the trail towards their feeding area earlier in the spring. However with velvet, and red hair color that deer have in Texas this time of year it is tough to say.

In either case Thanks for your help!!!!!