Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bad injury from arrow..bow season may come late >

bad injury from arrow..bow season may come late

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bad injury from arrow..bow season may come late

Old 08-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: bad injury from arrow..bow season may come late

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse
Your love life might suffer though.
LMAO

Sorry to hear about your misfortune dude. Thats why I still shoot alums.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

I hope you heal up quickly Slayer, The 1st week is the best wek in Wisc.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

GET WELL SOON

GET WELL NOW!!!!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:20 PM

Could have been worse, I guess DS. Good to know that it's not too bad...
Kobear, what does "fick that" mean?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:04 PM

First and foremost, glad to hear your injury was not one that appears it will cause a permanent disability….hopefully.

Damage to an arrow is not always visible. Sometimes the damage or the weakening of the walls might me such that it would take an x-ray to spot fault in the integrity of the shaft.

Although a shaft can have a integrity problem that occurred during manufacturing, I always cringe when I read that a person has been shooting their shafts into hard mediums such as plywood, hard ground, hard rubber deer targets, and then using the same arrow over and over. Carbon shafts are somewhat notorious for being easily fractured and according to available data, a carbon shaft can become dangerous just from age.

I know of one shooter that had a carbon shaft explode and partially disintegrate just in front of his riser. Apparently, he got shards of carbon splinters in his eyes. I personally know of one shooter that had a wooden shaft break just in front of the fletching and the broken shaft buried in his forearm. I once had a wooden arrow blow apart on me about two feet in front of my riser. I was not injured. The possibility of a shaft coming apart is the one thing that hinks me out.

Do yourself a favor, take good care of your shafts and do not shoot them in to mediums that can damage the shaft. There are some main arteries in your hands, and nerves that if damaged your hand will be disabled if not totally useless. I also wear glasses that have high-impact lens. Exploding shafts and shafts that snap at the shot is not as uncommon as you might believe.

THE HAND

The hand, an essential part of the upper extremity, weighs less than a pound and is composed of skin, muscle, bone, tendon, nerves and vessels. The hand consists of 27 bones, 28 muscles, 3 main nerves, 2 main arteries, and tendons, veins and soft tissue.

The skeleton of the hand consists of bones divided into three groups: the carpus, the metacarpal bones, and the phalanges.

The muscles that power the hand are divided into extrinsic muscles, which act upon the hand as whole and intrinsic muscles, which act upon individual parts of the hand. It includes three main nerves - median, ulnar, and radial. All three nerves are involved in control of the wrist, finger and thumb. The radial and ulnar arteries supply the hand with blood.

BE SAFE!
Old 08-15-2004, 08:23 PM

thanks for all the support guys. i really appreciate it. my hand is getting much better, i can hold light objects again. as far as permanent damage goes, its look like there is some mild nerve damage. my hand is numb around the wound channel and between my thumb and forefinger, and its also swelled. the doc says the nerves could come back, but theres a chance they may not, or it may take years. i get tingly feelings in my forearm when i touch it. hopefully this will go away. i tried to think of anything hard i shot it into last year, but i can't recollect anything. anyways, thanks again guys.

slayer

PS- found the arrow...the inside was packed with tissue. basically everything htat used to be in the hole.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang slayer. Hope you get healed up quick. Don't know if you are in one of the MANY MANY earn a buck zones but you will need to get out early to get the does on that summer pattern. Good luck getting back all your feeling. Don't feel to bad about it. When I was in high school (too many years ago) some moran decided to crack a wooden arrow before he shot it so he could see it explode when it hit the target. Well it did the same thing to him that yours did. He broke the arrow and then knowing that shot it. That is STUPID.

Glad you're ok.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:10 PM

ouch!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

C903 You got that right! I had a beaman ICS Arrow explode on me a couple of years ago and fortunatly nothing much happend other than an exploded bow,and a huge scare.I will never forget it.To this day on occasion I arch many of my arrows to check for splinters and such.I agree with the carbon and that shock could definatly lead to mechanicle wear down or microscopic break down..Another thing that folks don't realize also, is string loops, like what does your string look like under that serving and loop.Bill D>
Old 08-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: bad injury from arrow..bow season may come late

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.