Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can a deer go 300-350 yards double lunged? >

Can a deer go 300-350 yards double lunged?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can a deer go 300-350 yards double lunged?

Old 08-12-2004, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Can a deer go 300-350 yards double lunged?

Just wondering what you guys think.

I never would believe it, but, I am more then wondering now.

Personally, I have never seen it happen in my own experience.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can a deer go 300-350 yards double lunged?

I've not seen it, but wouldn't doubt it.

I've never seen one go over 60 yards shot through both lungs.

Single lung hits are a different story....
Old 08-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like said above, I've never seen a deer go more than 60-75 yards on a double lung hit. You'll have someone pop on here and say they've seen it but without outopsy, hmmmm

If it's a solid double lung hit where the lungs are deflated, they're not going anywhere. In those occassions when someone says it happens, I tend to wonder if the lungs where squared, deflated, the sharpness of the blades resulting in possible puncture wounds where the lungs retained partial use...ect.....

Rarities do happen but they are flukes IMO but in most circumstances, the actual shot placement or path of the arrow are likely misinturperated.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:57 AM

I shot a double lunger a few years back and thought it went 200+ yrds.........but looked at it again this year and I think it was only about 150-175 yrds as the crow flys! It was my fluke Rob.....never expect it to happen again ! Most I have double lunged went down anywhere from 25-100 yrds (seems like expandable hit deer ran farther than the fixed blade hit deer........I'm guessing from the impact of the blades opening causing added adrenaline/fear whatever ) !

It was a big doe ......and it ran into a thicket and went up hill , then downhill, then back uphill (only one I have ever had do this).......it was late and I was on my hands and knees crawling trails until I found here about 1.5 hours later ..........a very tough recovery.........and it seemed like she ran forever !!

300-350 yrds...........just don't see that really happening !!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:07 AM

I also have never seen this occure. A double lung in my experience will fall within ear shot and often in sight.

A whitetail has an amazing will to live. I'm often taken back by it but a lethal hit such as a double lung has nothing to do with will to live. The animal is going to die in very short order. IMO 300-350yds may be possible but is very unlikely.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:10 AM

Not a true double lung hit. Many times a arrow can enter a deer then turn, giving you the impression you got a double lung, but in reality to you got a single lung hit. I have had heart shot deer cover some amazing distances, and I mean there was a hole in the heart. But Dbl Lungers rarely go beyond 100yds.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

i have had a heart shot deer run about 200 yards. the heart was damn near shreded when we got it out.

i have seen a double lung, that ended up being fully deflated, ran just over 100 yards. i also found a deer dead, shortly after having some one shot it hind legs with a riffle crawled 30-40 yrds then after getting shot again, crawled about 30 yards til the spot that it just decided to curl up and die... the authorities found the guy who did that a little further down the road shooting at a plywood decoy. i hate hunters like that, in fact they are not hunters in my book just pochers.

but back on track i doubt a double lung shot deer could run over 200 yards... at least not in MY experiences
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

I hit a doe at ten feet away on a small two person drive. The shot was face on and I burried the arow to the nock in her brisket, into her lungs. I thought she went down but decided to wait 1 hour. I found lots of pink blood with air in it but no deer. Lost the sign after 1/2 kilometer (thats Canadian eh). Couldnt believe it. I think it depends, in this case the deer was already scared and running as apossed to just feeding or walking through.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:52 AM

The shot was face on and I burried the arow to the nock in her brisket, into her lungs
Thats LUNG not LUNGS

. Lost the sign after 1/2 kilometer (thats Canadian eh). Couldnt believe it
I can

I think it depends, in this case the deer was already scared and running as apossed to just feeding or walking through.
Not only was she scared she was hit with a poor shot. we are talking double lungers - not frontal prayers.

I would have to see it with my to see a good double lunger go 300yds - I have my doupts.....................
Old 08-12-2004, 08:52 AM

oops

Quick Reply: Can a deer go 300-350 yards double lunged?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.