Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mock Scrapes

Old 08-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mock Scrapes

Is anyone out there building mock scrapes yet? If so, what's your technique and has it worked in the past?

Fritz
Old 08-11-2004, 12:42 PM

Default RE: Mock Scrapes

I started a few back in april and I have 3 that seem to have taken hold. One is just inside the tree line from my food plots. Every time I 've checked it it appears to activly in use. I also have two on my New Hampshire property and show signs of use. Both are in funnel areas and are clearly active. One of these has a "cow path" to it.

I used Buck Fever synthetic Pre post rut and have only applied it twice. Once to start it with about 1.5 oz of scent and then about 3 to 4 weeks later another ounce or so. I used the f gland scent on the licking branch. I plan to scent them again come the rut. I'll hang a dripper and fill it with 4 onces about 3-4 days prior to hunting the scrapes.

If you're hunting the scrapes stay down wind 50 yards or more. Mature animals will scent it before coming in. By being 50 or more yards down wind you'll be in better shooting position when they scent check it.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

I have tried many scents, but never had much success. Maybe the early mock scrapes will have to be tried.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:35 PM

I plan on making a couple, but areas that I planned to hunt are not working out very well.(food sources were not replanted this year)

I am going to set up in Mid Sept. May work May not. I am using BuckFever synthetics this year as well. Everything from cover to attractants. That should tell me if I want to use it again next year...
Old 08-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I kick a couple stones around in the parking area before I leave to go hunting. I sometimes even put some URINE [&:] in my scratchings. Other than that I hunt the wind and the sign with little disturbance as possible.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:29 AM

Dave,

Do you have a pic of one of your setups? I don't want any grusome pics but just can't visualize what you are describing.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:51 AM

I've only had one mock scrape actually work and the only deer that came into it were all does. I've kept trying a couple times but not where I plan to hunt cause I don't want to mess the area up. I just want to find a good product and technique before I use it in my hunting areas.