Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Setting Up stands really early? >

Setting Up stands really early?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Setting Up stands really early?

Old 08-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Setting Up stands really early?

Putting up the stand isn't the problem. I think some stand locations where you have to brush out shooting lanes and do alot of tree trimming its by far best to do it early. Other spots that are mostly brushed out from the prior year aren't a real big deal. New spots early!

Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

The element of surprise is "KEY" to taking a big whitetail.....if you are going in and hanging stands aweek or two before the season along a travel route,no big deal! If you are moving stands during the rut you can get away with it as the bucks are cruseing around in unfamilar territory!
If you go near or into a bucks bedding area which has had no humans in it for most of the year and suddenly you show up and start putting up stands......thats putting the buck on alert.......he knows when someone has been in his bedroom or living room!
I can not overstate that you must use "STEALTH" when hunting a big buck...........if you let him know hes being hunted,he will become nocturnal and your only chance to take him will be during the rut!
I have 18 stands up as of last week and feel that I hung them nun to early!If you want to take big bucks you have to play the game different or depend on pure luck!
Im not saying that luck plays no part in taking a nice buck,because it does!
The more things you do right,the luckier you get!!!!!
www.stealtharchery.com

Old 08-12-2004, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Last weekend I finished putting up the last of three lock-ons. In the past I have waited till September for no reason other than procrastination. As many of you know out there, when you have a two year old running around, free time is at a premium. So, I've been "stealing" two hours here and two hours there to get my stands up, scouting, shooting lanes cut out, etc. Just too many "other" things going on in my life now to wait until the last minute to put up stands.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with ya, hunter25...I've got a 9 month old boy...and my stands are already up. I found some free time, too. LOL