Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Setting Up stands really early? >

Setting Up stands really early?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Setting Up stands really early?

Old 08-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Setting Up stands really early?

I have always heard that you want to get all of your stands set-up as early as possible so it gives the deer time to get use to the changes. I have been thinking about this and my friends dad usually sets up his stuff pretty early but last year he found a spot in the middle of the season and did some serious trimming and put up a stand. A couple days later he saw five bucks out of that stand in one morning. Then I got to thinking that this is only neccessary for big mature bucks but that can't be because the big bucks that are on your property during the summer will be gone when they shed there velvet and others will come on the property.

So I guess my question is why do you think it is important to get your stands set-up so early instead of going out maybe mid september when all the bucks still are in groups and getting ready to split up.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:13 PM

Default RE: Setting Up stands really early?

I like to get mine up early buy worry about theives. I have locks for my lock on stands but that'll only keep honest people honest. I plan to hang my stands over the next two weekends. The primary benifit to hanging stands early is you don't spread a lot of scent right as the season starts. If I have my stands up two or three weeks prior to the season I'm ok with that. No harm done.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:13 PM

I don't put as much emphasis on getting my stands up a couple months in advance as most people do. Sure, I like to have my stands up a few weeks prior to opening day, but if they aren't up in June or July I won't lose any sleep over it. I hung a stand in the dark last season in a spot that I had thought looked good the day before and saw deer all day long. Then again, I haven't hunted very hard for big mature bucks either, so I could be wrong.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:01 PM

I dont even sweat it, I hunt out of my climber mostly, I have a few stands over well used deer trails between bedding & food , They have been up for several years though and I check them often, so I guess the deer are used to them.....however I like the element of suprise so I stick to my climber.......I know that dident help so In my opinion unless youre building a big obvious stand it shouldent make a difference when you put it up
Old 08-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

It really more important on how you setup the stand than when.IMO.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

i just recently got mine set up, PA season doesn't start til Oct. 2nd so i'm fine. I like to set them up a little before season to give the area time to settle back down, but i've also but a hang on onto a tree at 1 in the afternoon during the season and got a doe 2 hours later. Up to you i guess, good luck.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:54 PM

I like to hang my lock-on's early. This year I went overboard and hung them in May........[&:]

But, I do most of my hunting out of a climber, so I am constantly on the move.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much everybody said a couple of weeks is good enough. For those of you who do it a couple months early... why?
Old 08-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Spike

I have a ladder stand that I put up early. Probably the earlier the better. They are much more noticable because they reach the ground and protrude out from the tree. It is really heavy 105 lbs. and I cart it in about 3/4 of a mile which creates enough noise to scare every deer out of the county. My hang on stands can be put up whenever you want. You are not going to eliminate the element of suprise. For the most part they aren't going to be detected from the ground by deer. If they are how in the world would you ever get away with hunting out of them.
If you are going to cut shooting lanes the earlier the better. Bottom line, if you think it is going to be noticed get it up as early as possible. If it will not be noticed, get it up 6 months - 1 month - 1 week - 1 day - 1 hour before you are going to hunt out of it. It just doesn't matter.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:13 PM

I really don't think it matters. I had a ladder stand I moved 3 or 4 times last season to get closer to the deer. They always came back............(does, that is).

Quick Reply: Setting Up stands really early?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.