Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice please.

Old 07-30-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Advice please.

I recently had a string loop put on my bow. When I started to draw back the string using my release the loop sliped through the release and shot the arrow (it was barely drawn back 3")! I tried again 3 times and had the same result. Arrows were shooting in the ground before I could get a full draw. I thought it was my release but I purchased a new one and within 5 shots I had the same problem. Should I take off the string loop and just use the release on the string? Before I put the loop on I didn't have this problem. My friend said something about the pressure of the release being set too low but the thing is after the arrow fires I look at the release and it has not oppened. I'm confused. Thanks for any advice and help.

Old 07-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Advice please.

Stalker! before you do anything try using another release first,it's possible that the string loop may be a little small and is slipping through and also make sure your release is actually locking over the string and not on it .If this isn't working try another release .
I personally don't use a loop any more ,not for any particular reason other than to eliminate wieght off my string it's not much but it is weight .

nubo
Old 07-30-2004, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

id take it off , i dont see the need for a string loop... i jsut have a lil ruer slide on my string that goes up against the bottom of my nock and top of my release to prevent the arrow from coming unnocked if i have to draw fast
Old 07-30-2004, 09:16 PM

Thanks. I'll take your advice and just have it taken off then and see about getting a slide put on. As I said I didn't have this problem without the loop. This forum is fantastic btw. Good people. Great advice. I'm so glad I found it.

Old 07-30-2004, 09:27 PM

On my very 1st setup, my shop started me out using a loop. I didn't know any better so I thought what the heck. After about a month of shooting I had the same problem as you just had. I lost most of my confidence pulling back arrows, cause didn't know if it was going to fire in mid-draw or not. Needless to say I got rid of that *&^% thing.

Two things you need to consider if you "need" a loop or not 1)Your draw length and 2)the size of your bow(ATA). If your a shorter draw like me(28 1/2) then the size of your bow doesn't matter. If you have a longer draw and a short ATA bow....you'll probably have to shoot with one because you'll have knock pinch problems. This whole thing of excessive serving wear thing from not shooting a loop, IMO, is a bunch of horse dung... . I get more serving wear from my arrow knocks than I do from my release. Good Luck!!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:14 PM
c j
Typical Buck

I had to go with a string because my release tore up the serving within a few weeks. I was thinking about getting a Tru-fire Stealth because of the head that pivots independently of the trigger.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:49 AM

I have only ever used a string loop and have found that you can get loops in different thicknesses. I think it might just be what brand you buy. I had the same problem once and changed the string loop for a different brand and she was all sweet.

I now only missfire when the string loop is wearing out and fraying cos it gets thinner and I try to change it before I loss and arrow[:@].

Only lost one arrow through a miss fire in 5 years

Cheers,
Stalkin Steve