Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 summit climber users >

summit climber users

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

summit climber users

Old 07-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default summit climber users

just wondering how hard is it to climb around a branch half way up the tree. or also can you climb a split limb tree. Thanks to all.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: summit climber users

I carry a little hand saw that works great for limbs. I love my Summit climber, I can set in it all day.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:12 PM

With a good saftey harness, some athleticism and good balance you can pretty much do anything. Doing these manuevers quietly is a whole different ballgame. I have unhooked and moved my stand over limbs while up in the tree and also gone up split limb trees. I usually end up clanking the 2 pieces of the stand together and make a ton of noise though. Most of the time I try to avoid it and find a nice straight tree, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:35 PM

Mine is an older Summit, bought in 88 I believe, with the hand climber piece (lol, without the hand climber it would remind you of an old baker with a fold out seet). No way would I attempt to take it apart in mid air and go around a limb but, as someone has already posted, a hand saw works fine. I prefer a wire saw that fits neatly in my pack. As for reliability, I have been using mine for 16 years and it hasn't failed me yet. I love mine.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:41 PM

I have taken apart the upper portion of my summit to navigate past a branch, but never the bottom section. I suppose I would consider taking the bottom part apart if I were in a tree where I could stand on the branch safely and transition the bottom section above the branch. But, never without the harness on!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:30 PM

I just bought a Cobra X4, so I'll let you know soon enough.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't recomend it. I also carry a folding saw and cut away branches. I think it's just to riskey to unhook the stand while climbing, and that goes for any tree stand.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt reccommend it, however my viper xls can climb a telephone pole. If you have a tree that has a fork in in i would reccommend a fix stand if you cant find a straight tree to climb.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

Just say no. There's no animal worth the risk of serious injury... especially when it can be avoided from the go.