Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Metamorphosis of a Bowhunter >

Metamorphosis of a Bowhunter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Metamorphosis of a Bowhunter

Old 07-29-2004, 09:17 AM

Default Metamorphosis of a Bowhunter

Just wandering if there's anybody out there like me.

During the off season or away from the woods, I'm probably what you would say is an average Joe. I work hard(self-employed metal roofing) I love my family(Autumn, Summer, & Zack and wife Laurel) and I get along with and am respected and I respect many. I even teach Sunday School at church to our young married couples(I'm 31).

But that all changes when it comes to my hunting. When I'm scouting, shooting my bow, etc. I PREFER to be alone. My hunting friends (who think we're "buddies") have not a clue when it comes to what I'm actually doing regarding deer hunting or preparation. When I go into the woods, I go ALONE . I don't even like for anybody to know I'm going. I don't even like for anybody to know I'm there. I usually hide my truck and sneak in and out of the woods. I have nothing to hide, I just don't like for anybody to know my business. If anybody asks me if I've seen anything I always say , "Nothing to speak of" and leave it at that. I don't really lie, I just don't volunteer all the truth. For example, the lease I hunt on now has 6 other guys on it. I've hunted it for 3 years. They all laugh and chuckle because they think I still haven't killed anything yet. What they don't know is that I have killed more bigger bucks than ANY of them have, including my top 3 bucks in 22 years of hunting! The closest I come to sharing all of this with anyone is my two brothers who also hunt the property, but guess what! Last season I saw a MONSTER 160 class 5x5 with a sticker and NEITHER one of them knows about it to this day. I just don't talk about a lot of stuff.

When I kill a deer I always cover it up in the back of my truck and try to drive out when noone is around. So far so good.
I could go on and on, but that's the general idea. Also , I've been this way since I started bowhunting at age 9! It just seems to be the way I am, I can't help it.

Am I weird or can any of you guys relate????????????
Old 07-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Metamorphosis of a Bowhunter

Man I would feel like I was missing out. Half the fun for me is comming back to the truck and telling your story of what happened. Thats what I love about bowhunting, everytime you go out theres a story you can tell. Whats even more fun is driving around showing all your friends the big buck you shot/or calling them on the phone. So no I guess I'm not like you because some of the aspects you ignore I really enjoy about hunting. I wouldn't imagine not sharing anything with anybody else or not being able to talk about my passion.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I can relate. I always hunted alone. However, it's not a smart move to take off to the woods and not let anyone know where you've gone and when you'll be back. You fall out of your treestand and it could be months before someone finds you. Well, your bones anyway.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:28 AM

There is no "buddy system" involved with consistently killing mature deer. You almost HAVE to go at it alone. Their sensative nature demands as little entrusion as possible. I am similar to you, I don't discuss what I saw. But, I do show the kills. It would be hard to hold that in.

This is what makes hunting great. It can be all things to all people. If you like to ride an ATV all day just shooting the breeze, you can. If you hunt from horseback you can, if you hunt dogs, you can. If you group hunt with drives, you can. If you want to be a reclusive buck slayer, you can.

It really is a great sport.!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm like nuge, I enjoy the getting together and BS'ing about the day and the stories. I have buddies like you though they'll go out and see a nice buck and try to keep the location a secret but I always end up figuring it out. I would never hunt a buck that they were already hunting but I guess that this is their way of trying to protect their bucks.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:35 AM

lol, for some reason, when i read your post, i couldn't help but smile. you just know at the end of the season those fellas are thinking they are twice the hunter that you are. too funny. no, i don't think your weird...there is something to be said for "keeping quiet." for instance, i have a friend (A) who hunts with another guy (B) i know on the same lease...well, A had seen this big buck two days in a row while hunting, but for whatever reason could not get a shot at him...well, A had to leave their lease and go to work. while at work, B slips in to where A has been hunting and kills this deer...and not only kills it, but has been bragging about it to everyone ever since he killed it last season...geez...A was so mad that he's leaving the lease to hunt property that isn't nearly as productive this season...

if you don't want someone to slip in and hunt a deer you are after, i wouldn't be talking about it to just anyone...
Old 07-29-2004, 09:38 AM

Just for clarification, Someone always knows where I am, Either my wife or a brother, And I do share my kills with my closest friends and family(and taxidermist), just not the other guys on the lease. But my two brothers are aggressive, If I say I saw a big buck, they'll both be all over me. I know that from experience. And I'd hate to have to bust their chops.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Dude your friends and hunting buddies make hunting what it is. Thats one of my favorite things to roll into camp with a big ol bruiser or enjoy the hunt with someone else. I enjoy friends joining me in the stand to video the days hunt or hunting close togather it is just a blast. I dont even get out to shoot my bow unless there is someone else around otherwise its just no fun. but u know time by yourself in the tree stand is always relaxing but id still rather be with my buds
Old 07-29-2004, 09:43 AM

gutshot, The difference between me and your buddies is that if I saw a big buck you would NEVER figure it out. I promise!!( of course, now you know about the one I saw last year ,huh??LOL.).
Old 07-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

In some ways we are a lot alike, I am a lone wolf 95% of my hunting up until the last few seasons now that my twins are taking an interest in hunting. I am started them off scouting and sitting on stand with me during gun season, this year will be thier first year gun hunting themselves, the old man will still be right there with them. I have a feeling my biggest hunting thrill ever will be them killing thier first deer!

Bow hunting is a whole different story, that is now and will remain me and me alone. Do not get me wrong, if a club or friend came along that I was comfortable with, I would hook up with them. I do all my own scouting and stand selection so if I couldn't do that I doubt I would join. Unlike you I do enjoy talking about my hunts, however I will be honest and say that if I know where a big buck is I do keep my mouth shut until he is mine. One of the things I love about this board is you can talk about the big one you are trying to get without worrying about someone sliding over on your stands to get him!

Quick Reply: Metamorphosis of a Bowhunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.