Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to Bowhunting..got a few questions >

New to Bowhunting..got a few questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Bowhunting..got a few questions

Old 07-28-2004, 10:28 AM

Default New to Bowhunting..got a few questions

I love to hunt, but something has always cought my eye when it comes to bowhunting. I recently recieved a old compound bow, but its not in good condition..what do you think the best bow to buy is..i dont want to start out big..so something 300 dollars or under....then there is the whole..arrow selection, all this other stuff...maybe thats why i bought a gun instead..bow hunting seemed to confusing. anywhay...any adivce will be great.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New to Bowhunting..got a few questions

Best thing to do is go to a pro shop and check out all the bows in your price range, the bow for you will be the one that feels the most comfortable to you when you hold it. Talk to the pro and if you buy the bow have him tune it and set it up for you. I can tell you right now that as long as you are sticking with known brand names that you will find a bow that will be more then enough for deer hunting. Have the pro shop set you up with your arrows also, go with Easton aluminums, they are excellent arrows and fairly inexpensive in comparison to graphite arrows and the like.

Get a good target and PRACTICE, practice, and then practice some more. You should also get a release and arm gaurd. You do not need all the bells and whistles to have a bow that will do the job very well.

Now after you have hunted with the bow a few years you may want to try different arrows, broadheads or even a new bow, but for now go with what you can afford.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Bassman,

Welcome to the world of bowhunting!! Bowhunting and archery is by no means easy, but the rewards are over-whelming. To answer your question about which bow to buy, you are the only one that can answer this question. To become consistant with your accuracy in archery, you have to become consistant with your shot. In other words, do the same things over and over again. From the way you grip your bow to the way you release,ect, ect. The only way to become consistant with your shot is to have a bow that you are comfortable with. I would highly suggest going to a bow shop and shooting as many bows as possible. Most bows on the market today are of good qualitity. What you are looking for is that fits you and feels comfortable.

As far as what to look for in a bow, I would suggest a long brace height ( 7inches at least, but the longer the better).

As far as what arrows to shoot, it all depends on your bow set up (draw weight, arrow length, ect, ect.)

This is where a good bow shop comes in. They can measure your draw length and help you determine what bow/arrow combination to get.

Best of luck!!! Stick with it, trust me, it's worth every bit of effort!!

Slice
Old 07-28-2004, 10:44 AM

taz and slicendice are giving you some good advice, take it and run.

if you do decide to take that plunge, you better be careful, you might just have to change your name to "TheBowhunterMan."

good luck!

Old 07-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bassman! Bowhunting is one of the funnest and challenging and can be one of the most rewarding typs of hunting you can do! With that sead there is more than enuff help here on this forum Hunters with lots of exsperence and is willing to help any way they can! now about your bow choice and arrow selection and every thing else you will need to get started. In my opion any first timmer just getting into this sport will probly bennifit from going to your local archery shop. they can fit you with every thing you need. and don`t worry about things like arrow selection`s and other confusiong things! they can baffle even the most exsperence achery hunters at times. they can help you with all those type thing at your pro shop!
Old 07-28-2004, 11:06 AM

i would recomend you get measured for a bow at a shop and look around. dont jump on the very first thing you see. then go home and look on ebay! you can get a bow that is only 2 or 3 years old that has hardly been used super cheap. it will already have the rest, quiver, case etc. a lot of guys always want cutting edge equipment and sell their older stuff cheap. just make sure to have a pro shop measure you up so you know what you need. then, like these other guys say -practice, practice, practice! remember, indians have been killing deer for centuries with recurves and sharpened sticks. i think that a 2 year old hoyt single-cam would do the trick nicely for you! good luck with it and enjoy. a bad day of bow hunting is better than a good day of anything else!!! you will love it and learn so much more about the other types of hunting you do.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:48 AM

This is just the topic I was looking for. I am in much the same shape as bassman only I have bowhunted years ago. I stopped bowhunting in the late 80's when my work schedule got too demanding and my bow got stolen as well. I have an old browning recurve in my closet that I shot regularly and hunted with when I was a kid in the 70's but I kinda got used to a my old cam PSE Thunderflight in the 80's and I think I am going to buy me a new (or used) compound, as the bowhunting season is long and liberal where I live now. I remember how religiously I used to have to shoot my recurve to stay in tune well enough to hunt and how easy it seemed to transition to the compound. I have been hearing a lot about the Hoyt single cam bows and I am considering purchasing one. First I would like to ask what is the purpose of 1 cam verses 2? Also, I have noticed that different manufactures are making the single cam bows is there a cheaper alternative to Hoyt that would be as good of quality? Thanks for the helpfull post.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Dino,

A one cam bow has more of a "wall" when drawing back. A one cam also tends to be faster. A two cam can get "out of time", but many people claims two cams are more accurate than a one cam. Hoyt offers what they call a "cam and a half". Supposedly, it's the best of both worlds. A few other companies are now offering "cam and a half" systems, such as Archery Research.

As far as your question, can cheaper bows be as good a quality as the higher priced bows,
my answer would be, yes. There are very few "junk" bows out there. I have a Hoyt and a Martin. The Martin was almost $200 cheaper than the Hoyt, but I found it to be as good a bow as the Hoyt.

Good luck!

Slice
Old 07-28-2004, 08:17 PM

thanks a bunch...if anyone else has anything to say...you can chime in
Old 07-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Typical Buck

Bowhunting is da bomb, watching to many rap videos, got relatives from the city with us for a couple of days. Bowhunting is something very special, and it takes a special type of person to do it. You'll learn to love it, once you get a taste of it you'll be addicited like the rest of us. Go to the pro shop and start looking and shooting bows in your price range.

Quick Reply: New to Bowhunting..got a few questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.