Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shopping for my first bow any recommendations? >

Shopping for my first bow any recommendations?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shopping for my first bow any recommendations?

Old 07-26-2004, 07:49 AM

Default RE: Shopping for my first bow any recommendations?

The best bow for you is the one that you dedcide fits you. If someone else tells you what bow to get you loose out. Just because I like bowtech does not mean you will. Do you want split limb design? Single or double cam? How heavy should it weigh? What draw weight? What amount of let off? What does the bow feel like when it lets off? Accuracy and forgiveness? I know it's a lot of questions but it's just a start. You should at least be able to answer these when you are looking. Also, check out a sight called www.huntersfriend.com they have a comparason chart you can look at that is rather helpful and other prelimanary information.

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Go trad , recurves are nice .
Old 07-26-2004, 08:41 AM

Keep in mind that there is no brand that will make you shoot better. You can buy features, but you cannot buy accuracy. Another thing to consider, is that many people do not discover what they like best in a bow, until they've shot a couple different bows over a period of many months. You may not want to invest too much into your first bow. A change in bows is very likely, if you stick with this, no matter what bow you choose as your first.

The most important thing for a beginner is the proper fit and tuning of their new bow. It pays to go to the shop with the best reputation in your area. Although you won't find any difference in accuracy between brands, you can find a night and day difference between a well-fitted, properly tuned set-up, and one that is not.

Good luck,
Old 07-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

As several others have stated, do not buy a brand or a model because someone or some article says it is the best!

Buy the bow that feels the most comfortable to you and is within your price range, trust me when I say the fastest bow on the market will do you no good if it does not feel right to you!

I shoot a Browning Ambush, far from the fastest bow on the market, or the most expensive, but it feels like it was made for me! This gives me confidence, as a result I shoot this bow better then any other bow on the market!

Any one on this board will tell you if they are being honest that the best bow in the world is the one you feel comfortable with!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto what Taz just said.....

Read my other reply post (the one about archery targets) where I mentioned about shooting a bow into the target "Black Hole". I demo'd a brand new Fred Bear TRX, wicked hot, 302fps, short bow. It felt weird at first, but okay. The letoff was 80%! My bow is 65%. To make a long story short, I don't think I could handle such an advanced, speedy, bow like that. I'm still perfectly content with my old PSE Edge Series 1000C bow. There is just something about how my bow fits me. I guess the old style round wheel dual cam bows have a balance and comfortable feel to them that makes them a classic. I know exactly how well my bow is shooting and how accurate it is. At 41" axle-to-axle, it is big, heavy, but provides confidence and a certain "feel" that I don't get with picking up brand new Martins, Parkers, Hoyt's, etc.... Maybe one of these days, I'll upgrade into a new bow. But for now, I still like shooting my old "workhorse" bow.

Butch A.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:42 AM

I love my Mathews but would not recommend it to a first time bow buyer. It does not have an adjustable draw length. The odds of you getting the correct draw length from the start are slim. You will be trying to find your best anchor spot and need a bow you can experiment/play with. Good luck and test shoot a lot and that will show you what you like.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't listen to anyone that say's this is the only bow or Company to try. Shoot and try as many different brands as you can.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:01 PM

I would have to say that if you haven't you need to try a McPherson Edge ...... I think you will be very surprised at what this little machine will do for you but I do agree shoot any bow you can get your hands on and buy what feels good to you

34 " ATA
7 5/8 " Brace height
will shoot a 350 grain arrow @ 70 # around 308

Just my .02
Old 08-02-2004, 03:23 AM

I agree that you should shop around and find what fits you and what feels right. I am partial to Mathews