Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BUCKLE UP there boys and girls!!! >

BUCKLE UP there boys and girls!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BUCKLE UP there boys and girls!!!

Old 07-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default BUCKLE UP there boys and girls!!!

So Len and I went hunting this AM. As soon as I found a tree and started unwrapping my stand to climb I realized I'd lost one of my straps that you put around the tree once your get to your desired height. This particular stand manufacturer tells you TO HOOK THEM UP!!! Well, my last stand didn't have such a thing so I figured.. NO sweat. I'll put one on the top so it doesn't chatter down if I lean against it wrong to shoot.

So about 6:30 I'm half sitting half standing facing the tree with my bow in hand. I sometimes put my toes against the trunk to rest my feet. As I went to shift all my weight to the platform and stand my world fell out from under me. Bow went one way and I went straight down(almost) Whacked my forearm and a rib on the top section as I went flying through. Some how I managed to catch myself with my right elbow and arm. WHOOOOOSH......!!!! That was the sound of the wind being knocked out of me.

Luckily I had the top part tied to the bottom part. and was able to hook it with my toes and pull it up enough to straighten it and get it under my feet. Len was maybe 100 yards away and heard the crash. He's calling me on the radio trying to see if I"m alive. I told him what happened, I was a little woozy and banged up and was going to sit for a couple minutes to catch my breath and get down. I sat there a couple minutes and the old head starts swirling, then I really get dizzy. I called him and told him I might be in trouble.... I'm really spinning. I start looking for an arrow hole or a sliced artery or something.... but no blood. I finally spot my arrow sticking in the ground. He said stay put. He was up a tree about 30 feet and coming.

SO, after another minute or two with my head between my knees I start coming around no worse for wear. I guess it was just that sudden jolt on the side rail pushed by 215 pounds in a perfect free fall. I usually put my harness hook up up high. This AM I had it down low... don't ask me why... but the harness didn't have a chance to stop me before I hit the rail and grabbed the other side on the way down.

I'm telling you.... it sure does happen fast. I have no idea how many times I've climbed a tree with a climber. I really feel at home up there.

Lessons Learned: 1: Strap in.

2: Use the stand Exactly as the Manufacturer says

3: Even a short fall can hurt like hell, sore ribs, sore
forearm, stiff neck and a headache

4: Ruined Lens hunt...... bummer.

I wandered back to the truck eventually and put on a little push towards Len. Left my bow in the truck and I'm the one that saw all the deer. Walked right up on some and had one standing in the open at 30 yards. If I didn't hurt so much I would have laughed. Had to shoooo the dang thing away almost to head it toward Len. He was looking right ...it went left.

BUCKLE UP BOYS AND GIRLS!!!
Old 07-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BUCKLE UP there boys and girls!!!

Glad to hear you avoided serious injury. Happens fast.

I've fallen twice...and it's scary. I wasn't hurt either time, but could have been. Just had the wind knocked out of me.

I had a kid in school last year that fell when his stand came out from underneath him. He had his belt on, with a couple feet of slack in it. When the strap came taught, he swung back into the tree and his highest step, which was actually beside the stand, impaled his left nipple and nearly punctured his lung. He tore one hell of a gap in his chest.

He lost his nipple (they're useless anyway) and received about 100 stitches.

OUCH!
Old 07-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Darn Dave! I'm glad your not seriously hurt ,I know sometimes these things happen and it could have very easily been alot worse ,consider yourself lucky .I'm sure Len has no problem with this since he wouldn't want to see you hurt and there will be many more day's to hunt . I'll definetly take heed to this and remember to harness up correctly ,I've had the bottom fall out from me as well but luckily my bow was hanging on the tree, it was a difficult chore getting out of that tree but I managed o.k. guess I was pretty lucky to.
Take care and get well and I'm sure Len will be happy I'm sure he couldn't care less as long as your o.k.

nubo
Old 07-17-2004, 11:11 AM

Scary story. Glad to hear your OK. I bought a new climber this past off season and I'll be sure to strap both top and bottom piecses to the tree. Thanks for the look out.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:53 PM

Glad your ok pal. Good thing of you to share your story for those who even think about climbing a stand without a safety system.

Maybe (some are too dense to ever learn), they will think twice now.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear your o.k.!
Unfortunately for alot of folks every year they dont just get a good scare and some bruises to remind them of the danger. Their lessons are usually either fatal or leave them in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too have had a couple of close calls.. once had the bottom of an old loggy bayou decide to climb down a couple hours before I was ready....that was fun

And had a platform break through on an old wooden stand once...more fun...last time I hunted in one of those!

Glad to hear you are OK, David..I'd hate for any hunter to become a "statistic"
Old 07-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Close call for sure. You proablly used up a lot of you total luck allotment with that one. Be careful and heal quickly.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:58 PM

So what was ya hunting?
Old 07-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

So what was ya hunting?

Crop Damage

Quick Reply: BUCKLE UP there boys and girls!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.