Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question about arrow flight. >

question about arrow flight.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question about arrow flight.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default question about arrow flight.

Sometimes my arrows shoot really well, then sometimes they seem to be tailing off. Could it be that I have a problem with my rest and nock not being level. For the most part they hit where they are supposed to but just seem to fishtail through the air at times. Does this happen to anyone else?

Is it the arrow or should I paper tune the bow?

I have a dozen new arrows I am just waiting to have cut.

Thanks

Jim
Old 07-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question about arrow flight.

Number your arrows and se if its the same ones that fishtail every time , if it is ,then its an arrow issue probably . if not it could be you tourqeing the bow with your grip , or a multitude of other things , fletch contact could be another colpret .
Old 07-16-2004, 11:37 AM

If you are getting fishtailing arrows then your bow deffinitly is not in tune. Paper tune it and you'd be amazed at how much your arrows will fly and how tight your groups will get.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're worried about rest contact just spray some athletes foot powder on the vanes and you'll be able to see where they are contacting the rest but I agree with PA, I would start with paper tuning.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paper tuning isn't the all out answer, but it won't hurt and I do recommend it. You should also be focusing on the intended point of impact, not wathcing the arrow's flight(peeking).
Old 07-16-2004, 12:13 PM

Hand torque and/or arrow spine are common causes of "fishtailing." However, one cuase that is often not considered is the alignment of your rest in relation to a person's natural form. "Natural form" is that individual form that no matter how hard a person tries to use a "book" form, he or she unconciously falls back into a "natural form."

Therefore, rather than running against a brick wall, try to adapt some settings to fit your form. When applying this rule on centering a rest, an exact centering of the rest might not be for you. If your rest has a windage adjustment, try dialing your rest away from the window in very small increments. If the rest-center is the cause, watch for the fishtailing to stop. If not the postion of the rest, I opt for hand-torque and/or arrow spine.