Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 new here few questions >

new here few questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new here few questions

Old 07-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default new here few questions

first let me say i have been a bow hunter since i was 15, im now 26 and i havent hunted for the past three years, school and work and betting married kinda put a damper on that, BUT the good news is that i have found land that the owner has agreed to allow me to hunt. the questions i have are probably simple. when shoudl i start scouting the land and choosing my stand, baiting and most importantly getting my arm back in shape to use my 70# draw? i went to the range and i was impressed that i didnt loose much i was still able to hold for about 3-4 minutes before it affected my shot pattern. i was thinking about changing the limbs on my old PSE carrol intruder II to lower the draw. i think 65# will suffice but im at the minimum draw weight now with twh 70#. what is yoru recomendations for limbs and when i get teh limbs changed out shoudl i change the cams as well?

thanks for your time and any tips for getting back into it woudl be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Andy
Old 07-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new here few questions

I think you are ready for a new bow? When should you start scouting the area? How big is the area? If you have several thousand acres, you needed to start yesterday. If you have a small area? You should still start scouting a.s.a.p., I would scout from a distance at first. You don't want to kick them out of there beds. Then go in and look for active trails & old rubs. Learn the typical wind direction in the morning & evening. Then set up a few stands & cut some shooting lanes.
Good luck,
WK
Old 07-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

nah its not 1000 acres maybe 10 acres surrounded by LOTS of farm land but i only have access to 10 acres. im planning on getting some grain to bait with untill september.

i want to be as carefull about it as possible. i really want to know what the best techniques are for scouting besides the typical looking for rubs near october and the obvious digs?
thansk again
Old 07-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best way to scout a small hunting area is from a distance. Can you drive near this area & park? Don't park too close. I would bring a spotting scope & binos. Get out there before daylight & in the evening. Just sit there & watch the deer filter through your area. There should be one or two trails they use to cross this piece of land. Set your bait near the game trails, not too far from your tree stand or ground blind.
Good luck,
WK
Old 07-10-2004, 01:03 AM
Fork Horn

Now there is a blast from the past. I owend that exact same bow. That bow was top of the line in my book for its time. I absolutely loved that bow. It was my first performance bow that I owned.

As for as scouting my but would be ridding roads, glassing fields, and find stand sites. Since this is a fairley small piece, I would find a couple of sites to use the wind from wich ever direction it blows.

Baiting I would use more than just grain. Get a salt block with block topper on it, get some mollasses and hang it in a gunny sac. the rain will let it drip on the ground. etc...

This could be a place where big daddy hangs out, so be carefull during pre season.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

What do you mean a "Blast from the past". I have the SR1000 for my back up bow. It was the forerunner but a little upscale from the intruder. It's still a great bow.... just noisy as all get out. I did something different every year to quiet it down. Finally got to a two piece quiver, took off the overdraw(used to shoot with the quiver on), got heavier arrows(525 grain) but the big silencer was the advent of the Sims limb savers. That did more to quiet it than anything. At the least you should change out the axles probably if you never have. Personnally... I think you're ready for a new bow. Get something with a 60-70 range and have fun. Bows are so much lighter and quieter now.