Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stealth Cam Solar Panel, HELP PLEASE!!! >

Stealth Cam Solar Panel, HELP PLEASE!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stealth Cam Solar Panel, HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 06-24-2004, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stealth Cam Solar Panel, HELP PLEASE!!!

Does anyone have any info on this product (SP-DIG, solar panel kit)? I wonder if this will keep the camera going for 3-4 months at a time? I don't think it comes out into the market for another month or so, but does anyone know any more info on this product?

Here's about the only info I could find on it:

Extend your field operation with the 12-volt Solar Panel. Using rechargeable batteries, the solar panel will charge and sustain a charge on Stealth Cam models featuring a solar jack. For use with digital Stealth Cam models only.

Here's a pic of it.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:21 AM

Default RE: Stealth Cam Solar Panel

I believe you are correct as far as the unit not being on the market yet. I believe they are supposed to start shipping them in August.

My only concern is that the solar panel will add bulk to the unit and make it stand out more than it already dose. Haveing a 250$ cam stolen would suck but not as much as a 250$ cam and a 100$ solar charger. Also where I have my cam set up it dosn't get much direct sunlight. I'm not sure how well it would charge.

***For the money of the charger you could get 12 AA lithium rechargable batteries and just swap them in and out. This should be cheaper and I think the cam will be less noticeable. Of coures if you plan to leave the cam a long way from home where you can't change the batteries every 3 weeks the solar charger would definately have its place.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

In all honesty I dont think the charger is worth $100.

I am sure that you could go and get a 12v solar charger for feeders (about $25) and adapt it to fit the camera.

You might have to change a plug but that would be about all.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinking of putting a a digital game cam at one of my spots back home. I'd like to leave it out for 5-6 weeks at a time, maybe more, maybe less. Worst thing is that the spot I want to put it at, is full of trees and not much sunlight would reach it, unless I had a long cord attatching the solar panel to the game cam.

I also think that $100 is pricey.

For Example:From Moultree:

12 Volt Solar Panel
Solar deer feeder - To ensure a continued source of power for your Moultrie Feeders, this constant trickle charger is ideal for areas in which charging feeder batteries may not be convenient. Chargers will not over charge your battery. 12-Volt ($27.99)

Now according to Stealth here are the spec's for the power supply:

Power Supply:
1.5V Alkaline AA x 6 or rechargable AA x 6 or DC 12V/250mA Power adaptor or solar panel(12V 250mA)(for battery chargeing)

Power Jack:
DC12V 250mA Adaptor or solar panel(12V 250mA)(for battery chargeing)

Now if I have a 12v rechargable battery and the above solar panel, would I even need to use the solar jack??? Or is this jack only needed with the Stealth Solar Panel??? Maybe someone that has one of the cams can help me on this one. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

For use with digital Stealth Cam models only
Bummer but then again I do not know if I could justify a $100 recharger on a $70 camera.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now if I have a 12v rechargable battery and the above solar panel, would I even need to use the solar jack??? Or is this jack only needed with the Stealth Solar Panel??? Maybe someone that has one of the cams can help me on this one. Thanks.
I will take a rough guess and say that the camera housing has a female jack port in it connected to the battery.
It would be a lot easier to put the male jack onto the charger cable then to cut a slot in the housing and then have to weather proof it.
Another benifit of having the jack is ease of set up just mount the camera and plug in the solar charger.

But I can't see a reason apart from what I said above to need the jack.

Bummer but then again I do not know if I could justify a $100 recharger on a $70 camera
Frank.

I cant see why you cant adapt a solar charger to the regular Stealth camera you might have to do some modifications to the housing, but then again I would not be spending $100 on the charger even if it was for a Digital Stealth cam.

I know you is a smart boy and will figure it out