Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Solar Panel ?

Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default Solar Panel ?

I recently purchased a 6v solar charger for my tripod feeder. Today i took out the new feeder and solar panel out to the woods for the first time. Like an idiot i didn't check to see if the battery had any charge at all before heading out. Of course, i found out that it was dead right after setting it all up. My question is will the panel recharge the battery from dead or does a panel just prolong the life of a rechargeable battery. After a quick Google search it seems like most people charge there batteries fully before hooking up a solar panel and the panel just makes there battery last longer before it needs recharged again. Also, how much direct sunlight is needed for the panel to work. Right now it is placed in the middle of some thick hardwoods. I assumed that being designed for game cameras and feeders that the panel would also be designed for thick cover. Does this thing need to be out in the open?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Solar Panel ?

The more direct sunlight the panel receives the better it works.

As for charging up a flat dead battery, I wouldn't hold my breath. If the panel were exposed to direct sunlight for the majority of the daylight hours, then you might have a shot, but put it under some cover and at best it will help a charged battery last longer.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Solar Panel ?

Rechargeable batteries usually require a certain number of hours of charging time before use, turn thefeeder off for a day and let it charge.