Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tuneing trouble

Old 06-11-2004, 06:31 AM

Default RE: Tuneing trouble

Davids right....I missed your post on group size......what is the problem then?

The fact that they are not hitting with the field points has no bearing on a good tune. If they are flying and grouping great - I wouldn't care if they hit different then my fieldpoints.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Guys, 1st off I used a Easy Tune Laser, It's probably the easiest and most accurate way to get perfect center shot.

2nd I guess the problem is that when field points and Broadheads don't strike in the same spot it says something is wrong either with the tuneing or shooting technique.
this and I like to practice as much as possible before season and broadheads are too hard on the target. Switching back and fourth from broadhead setting to field point setting can be a pain.

Last year I had a friend call me for a last minute hunt and I was still set on field points luckly I had some rocket steel heads handy. I can shoot mechs but would rather stick with muzzys.

It seems that some guys never have any problems with broadhead/ fieldpoint point of impact espically with a good drop away rest like the muzzy. A few of you mentioned hand torque, perhaps I should look into this some more.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:26 PM

JimBow:
Your last post touched on what I was going to mention. There have been some recent articles that have talked about changing the stock grip on the Matthews. I have a XL-size hand (glove size) and find that the Matthews grip to be too large and uncomfortable. I believe Matthews makes smaller after-market grips that may help. Having said all that, if you are shooting a 3-arrow group as tight as you say you are, then the grip may not be of major concern. I would try reducing the poundage on your bow to around 65#. This will lower it some, but you will still be able to shoot the same size arrow. I don't remember you mentioning the weight of your broadheads. You might try going with a 100 gr. or even 85 gr.! Paper tuning will tell you a lot about arrow travel as it leaves your bow and I would first paper tune your bow properly with field tips and then try your broadheads. This will show you any differences in the two setups.
Sorry for the long-winded reply.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks ARDeerslayer(and everyone else), the 2 or 3 inch groups I was shooting was at 20 yrds, Thats about the size of a tennis ball. I heard a coupple people saying that is very accurate shooting. It's accepitable to me but not super. Iv'e heard guys say hitting a pie plate at 20 is good enough well I don't think so. I am going to shoot some more and see how things go. I haven't shot for 3 or 4 months and I am rusty I can get 2 or 3 arrows tight and then have a wild flyer. Once I get consistant I'll go into the tuneing process again. I hope I can get this squared away come fall. Thanks again Jim