Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good Books?

Old 06-01-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Good Books?

I was wondering if anybody has some recommendations on Bowhunting books. I'm looking for more technique and deer behavior stuff. Actually cookbooks would be cool too.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good Books?

Kel,

"Bowhuntings Whitetail Masters" written in the early 90s by Dan Bertalin......its a book full of information from successful whitetail bowhunters that are forced to hunt the lands that everyone else is. This isn't a private land fenced easy canned hunt type book. The whitetail hunters in this book (there are like 14 or 15 of them featured across the USA) they all have a chapter written on them. I found some quality information in there in regards to philosophy and strategy. Some of the guys featured in the book didn't help out much, but several others did. I read it back in the mid 90's and to date it's still my favorite because several of the fellas in the book were getting it done on pressured ground.

I have read John Ozogdas articles, David Morris's books, which are more of a biological and rifle hunter type books but still quality reads and Jeff Millers books which I found some good information in. Still nothing teaches you better than the animal.

Good luck,
Shed
Old 06-01-2004, 02:53 PM

I currently own Modern Bow-Roger Maynard, Whitetail Deer-The Hunting and Fishing Library, and The Complete Hunter-Field and Stream. All those books provide a lot of info on the subject it concentrates on. I would also recommend Cooking Wild Game and Fish from the Missouri Department of Conservation, I think you can find it on their website. And let me not forget other great books from Capstick,Roark,Burger,Roosevelt, and others, great and intense reading. Good Luck!

P.S. Look at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods for some other hunting books.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:55 PM

i am currently reading a book called hunting whitetails by the moon by charles j. alsheimer. it deals with deer breeding behavior and the lunar cycles. its been a good read so far...