Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunters Go Through Stages >

Hunters Go Through Stages

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunters Go Through Stages

Old 05-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Spike

Default Hunters Go Through Stages

I came across this article by a local hunting columnist about a Wisconsin study conducted in the 1970s of how hunters go through various stages as they age. I thought you might enjoy this article as well as find yourself in one of these various stages.

"First is called the shooter stage, it's the time in life, often for a beginner, when the hunter can't get enough shooting. Some beginners manage to skip over this stage, while others take a long time.

"Next comes the limiting-out stage, anything less than a limit of whatever the hunter is after means it was a poor day.

"Following comes the trophy stage. That's when the big buck, the giant Canada goose or big greenhead mallard are a must. Anything less regal is not worth shooting.

" The method stage comes next. That's when the hunter has to have the best and latest in hunting equipment. Which is quite a challenge today, what with all the various equipment available. In this stage, taking game becomes secondary to out-smarting it. During this stage, some move into bow and muzzleloader activities. Some of us move through this phase when we reach a point where we have so much gear that we can't take it all with us.

"The final or mellowing-out phase is not reached by many before the age of 40 and only after many years of hunting. That's when satisfaction comes from the whole hunting experience and the pace is much more leisurely and relaxed. It's the time when a hunter might pick up the video recorder or camera, while others do the shooting. The whole experience is one of satisfaction."
Old 05-30-2004, 11:27 PM

Default RE: Hunters Go Through Stages

I think I skipped all the way to the Method Stage...
Old 05-31-2004, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm confused, lol...... i'm not in the shooter stage, i go out in hopes that a harvestable critter will come by, but i dont get all upset when and if i dont get the shot.......
i'm not in the limiting out stage, i'll let em walk......
the trophy stage, well they are all trophys to me.......
i went to the mellowing out stage right away....but i still like bringin' aa gun.......
Old 05-31-2004, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is possible to be in several "stages" at the same time. Right now I am definately in the method stage but I am also in the trophy stage. We do shoot does (6 last year, 1 for me), but we pass up the smaller bucks (only one 8 point last year by my son). I also can't seem to get enough of "the toys". I have been having a great time weeding out the junk from the good and for the most part have done a good job thanks to this forum.

Now when I take my daughter out this fall for her first deer gun hunt (she's 14) I will be in the mellowing-out phase because I will be recording her. Anytime she wants to go out it will be all about her.

Anyway thanks for sharing. Sorry to ramble on.[]
Old 05-31-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm definitely in the "method stage". I have so much stuff there's no way I could take it all with me. I have enough stuff that usually a couple of guys that just started hunting last year can borrow just about anything they don't have and I still will have everything I need.

I guess I'm still a little in the "limiting out" stage as well. I still get disappointed if I don't limit out for the season. Keep in mind this is 3 month long season and I can only take 3 deer. Anything less than 3 deer will not keep my freezer full of meat the entire off season.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:49 AM

Im turning 30 at the end of June. I have my trophies on the wall and have packed many of deer away in the freezer. I'm getting married in Sept, and have a 10X Digital camera on the wedding registry. I guess Ive reached deer hunting maturity ahead of my time. I just geniunely enjoy the great outdoors. Hey, I'm not saying I'm going to be a "mellow" deer hunter, cause there has to be venison in the freezer and there will be always room on the wall for a trophy. For the love of the wild game.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:09 AM

i geuss im in the shooter stage.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:53 AM
Dominant Buck

They left out the "OBSESSED" stage. I had a time about 25years ago when I was hunting one particular deer for 3 years. My life became a nightmare almost. I played every game I had heard of an many that had never been written. I even went so far as to walk to my stand at 2AM and wait for 4 hours for daylight. I went so far as to tape myself up with a rain suit and duct tape and wade 100 yards across a neck deep beaver pond at 4 AM. The final straw came in the 4th year after being busted by him from 15 yards away. I was a statue at the time. His harem had just past downwind of me at 10 yards. I knew he was coming. He sneaked in behind me from upwind and snorted and lumbered off, grunting everytime his feet hit the ground. He tore down limbs, trees anything in his path. I threw my bow to the ground, raised my head to the heavens and screamed at the top of my lungs. I F$#**&% give!!! YOU WIN!!!!!

I didn't hunt that woods again for 15 years. By that time my brother-in-laws group had leased it from a paper company. I put on my rain suit, taped myself up at the cuffs and waist so I wouldn't leak and told them where I was going. They all had a laugh at the Yankee from Maryland. I forded the pond in the dark. Due to the difficulty it was just light when I reached the other shore. I was taking off my rainsuit and duct tape when I heard him hit the water on the other side. I dropped him at 10 yards as he came out on my side. It was the biggest deer I had shot at the time and the biggest killed at that camp that year. Duct taped myself up and floated him back across the pond. Now that's obessed.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I'm kind of the same as Mike in Texas as for the new and old gear I can suit a small army in my house ,that's why my wife just can't understand why I need the new technology.As for the hunting I just love to be in the wood's whether i bring anything home or not .Sure I want to fill the freezer but I don't take bad shot's,and sometimes I know I should have taken them I try to predict what the animal is gonna do before they do it ,sometimes it work's and sometimes it doesn't. As for the trophy ,I don't really have one yet and am still looking for that opportunity and maybe my judgement might change when that happen's. So as it stand's I'm not quite sure where I fit in.I GUESS IN A SENCE i'M KIND OF STILL IN A TROPHY STAGE but still the big point is just being out and loving every minute of it and having all these animal's around me whether I take one home or not.

nubo
Old 05-31-2004, 06:13 PM

I'm partly in the method stage, I'm fairly new to bow hunting and am trying to get as much equipment/gear as I can afford. I'm also in the Trophy stage as I pass up on most bucks that I see. But I'm also in the Mellow-Out stage as I have been gun hunting for 14 years and have shot my fair share of deer and now, if I see deer great, if I don't oh-well at least I got to spend the day or several hours outdoors.

But no matter what, my heart still races ever time I see a deer coming towards me and when that stops happening, I'll be in the "Dead Stage"

Quick Reply: Hunters Go Through Stages

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.