HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunters Go Through Stages
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2004, 10:53 AM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunters Go Through Stages

They left out the "OBSESSED" stage. I had a time about 25years ago when I was hunting one particular deer for 3 years. My life became a nightmare almost. I played every game I had heard of an many that had never been written. I even went so far as to walk to my stand at 2AM and wait for 4 hours for daylight. I went so far as to tape myself up with a rain suit and duct tape and wade 100 yards across a neck deep beaver pond at 4 AM. The final straw came in the 4th year after being busted by him from 15 yards away. I was a statue at the time. His harem had just past downwind of me at 10 yards. I knew he was coming. He sneaked in behind me from upwind and snorted and lumbered off, grunting everytime his feet hit the ground. He tore down limbs, trees anything in his path. I threw my bow to the ground, raised my head to the heavens and screamed at the top of my lungs. I F$#**&% give!!! YOU WIN!!!!!

I didn't hunt that woods again for 15 years. By that time my brother-in-laws group had leased it from a paper company. I put on my rain suit, taped myself up at the cuffs and waist so I wouldn't leak and told them where I was going. They all had a laugh at the Yankee from Maryland. I forded the pond in the dark. Due to the difficulty it was just light when I reached the other shore. I was taking off my rainsuit and duct tape when I heard him hit the water on the other side. I dropped him at 10 yards as he came out on my side. It was the biggest deer I had shot at the time and the biggest killed at that camp that year. Duct taped myself up and floated him back across the pond. Now that's obessed.