Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What makes you as good as you are??? >

What makes you as good as you are???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:26 AM

Default RE: What makes you as good as you are???

I did have a good weekend.......thanks for asking. Had a nice bird coming right into my decoy like a magnet but like the bonehead that I am I left my gloves in the truck and sure enough that gobbler saw my hands and wouldn't come closer then 50 yards.....[:@]

Lesson learned.......the hard way.

Even worse is he sat at 50 yards pacing for about 45 minutes as if he knew I couldn't get him and he was taunting me Oh well.......I deserved it for being such a dope.

Hope you had a nice weekend too.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:27 AM

Some guys are naturals at shooting, some guys use high tech equipment .....
uh oh, now there's a can of worms if ever I saw one!!
Old 05-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Danny45 - Just a known fact that some of us use challenging equipment that really brings out the essence of what bowhunting is ....

and other just go out and buy compounds

Old 05-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

dedication
Old 05-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a known fact that some of us use challenging equipment that really brings out the essence of what bowhunting is ....

and other just go out and buy compounds
Just like some folks are content with dinks and rag tag elk where others aren't content with anything less than a thumper. It's really all up to the individual's preference. It seems like you would rather "enjoy" the challenge of traditional equipment and I would rather enjoy hearing thwack and knowing I just killed another good buck. You've been on this high horse for a while now feeling all special because you hunt with traditional equipment yadda yadda. I don't think shooting traditional equipment makes you special. I think it's stupid for limiting yourself like that. If you want to do it, I don't have a problem, in fact I say more power to you. However, not everyone derives their satisfaction from the same things that you do. You think it's about the equipment. I think it's about the hunt as well as the outcome of the hunt. The main difference being what we have left to show for our time and trouble. I have a few pics and a pretty fair pile of horns out in my shed if you want to stop by the next time you hunt Rainey and we can compare notes and try to figure out who got the most enjoyment out of their perspective hunts as well as whether it was more challenging for you to shoot a scrub with your trad equipment or for me to shoot a P & Y with my compound
Old 05-10-2004, 12:13 PM

Ditto Silent
Old 05-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice , I do it year round , some guys pick up their bow a week before season and expect to have sucess .
Old 05-10-2004, 01:03 PM

Stealtycat,

At least save your comments for threads that are related to that topic.........you sound like a spoiled child who doesn't think everyone is paying enough attention to him..........so you say it louder and over and over.

We heard ya dude. We know you like to hunt traditional............great. If I were you I would buy all the traditional gear I needed and have at it. The desire you seem to have to try and make others feel ashamed because they use a compound is silly and petty.

I personally don't care how you or anyone else hunts.......as long as it is legal. It's all hunting and not one single method can hold a monopoly on the "true essence" of hunting.

BTW how did you do in that little honey hole you drew a tag for??
Old 05-10-2004, 01:36 PM

However good I say I am when no witnesses can say otherwise.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh come one guys, I added 4 smiley faces and ya'll still don't get it ? Would 25 smileys have made a difference ?

Never forget that I have no problems with ya'll shooting whatever you want to, however you want to. I simply do not care because it will have no impact on my bowhunting at all.

My first response in this thread was true - high tech equipment does remove the neccessity of practicing and honing archery skills. Not a bad thing overall IMO and thus compounds, technology, bowhunting seasona sn numbers ahev all grown accordingly.

Silentassassin - I would bet a slice of Ma's apple pie you'd shoot just about every good buck that comes your way regardless if you shot compounds, crossbows or recurves. Why ? Youre a dang good hunter, you know HOW to hunt .... the only thing that would change is the when it comes time to shoot and you'd quickly adjust to a trad bow IMO. Like I said, I'd bet on it

atlasman - bounces off me and sticks to you (note smiley face, not a serious comment but rather one to smile at and a deft attempt at internet humor)

sigh

Ashamed ? The question was what makes you as good as you are. The top shooters in every 3D tourney shoot what bows atlasman ? Recurves ? Self bows ? Longbows ? No ... they shoot compounds. Why do you reckon that is ? Equipment makes a person more accurate - good if you will.

You all know if we were to meet at an archery range ... and switch bows, me taking your compound and you taking my longbow, who'd be shooting 10 rings in just a few minutes with few exceptions to that rule.

Thats NOT dissing anyones choice of archery, its just a factor that many ignore. So in answer to this topics question .... in many ways equipment DOES make the archer as good as they are - thats not as good as they can be though, thats only achieved with practice, and a natural ability to shoot.

BTW - I haven't drawn for my KS honeyhole yet. I sent the $$$ to my KS landowner buddies and they'll apply this month for two tags and I'll apply for mine. I get a tag, they get extra money for the holidays and we're all happy. Three years ago I shot a 125" 8 pointer, two years ago I was skunked (missed a large buck though) and last year I shot a 140" ish 11 pointer. Why do you ask ?

Quick Reply: What makes you as good as you are???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.