Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting Back into Bowhunting >

Getting Back into Bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting Back into Bowhunting

Old 05-07-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Getting Back into Bowhunting

Hoping you guys could help me out with some of the basics. I'm just going to get back into bowhunting after not doing it for almost 20 years. I used to have a Martin WartHog which I really liked at that time. I'm looking at a used Martin Jaguar Magnum that is all setup, and I'm sure I will have to make some adjustments to the bow. What would you recommend for a release, sights, rest, arrows etc. I have never used a mechcanical release, used to use a leather one made by a guy in Antigo, WI which worked great back then. Just trying to get some info before I go out without a clue. What would a Jaguar Magnum be worth, not sure of the year but it looks in nice shape.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting Back into Bowhunting

welcome Char1312,

You should have a very good bow with the one you chose. Since you are new to this again, I would really suggest going to a pro shop. They should be able to measure your draw and make sure the bow is set up correctly.

After that I would look at what they have in the way of the other stuff that you mentioned. Personally as far as realeases go, I like Tru-Ball, but there are other quality ones out there and you should try a few before buying one. Same with the sights, rest, stabilzer, etc.

Best of luck to you, and let us know how you make out.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:14 PM

15% extra money spent at the proshop
100% better experiance in the field.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Char1312,
Welcome to this web site. I am new to this site as well. BobCo19-65 and WisHunt are 100% correct!!! Being a archery education instructor, I have helped people get into the sport of bowhunting with little or no hunting experience to teaching people who have bowhunted all their lives. Idaho requires people to take an archery education class before they can bowhunt the state. The class is an international class and is taught throught the United States. In the class one of the things we teach is proper and safe equipment. I cannot say the value of the bow because there are so many variables. A person needs to know what to look for in a used bow. Pictures will not work you have to handle the bow. Things to look for - Does the bow have have all origional parts, Limbs, Cams and Riser if not - why not? What happened to it? Are the holes that are taped and drilled for the sights, arrow rest, and stablelizer still in good condition and not stripped? Are the limbs feathering or delaminating? Are their "ruts" in the Cam's. Ruts create a rough and eractic draw and let off, and it makes your cams out of sync (timing). Do you trust whoever owned it before? That they stored it in a cool dry place? Sunlight and heat are horrible on bows. What pounddage and let off does the bow have? Is it a poundage that fits you? What is the draw length on the bow? Does it fit you? Sometimes that is not easy to change. As far as sights and releases go, the only way to know if they work for you is if you have shot them. Any good pro-shop will let you "try" out the product before you buy it. If you still want to buy a used bow, take it to a pro-shop and have them check out the bow, before you buy it. The problem with buying a used bow is that you are not buying one that fit you from the get go. You are buying one that was made to fit someone else. Sometimes you buy a used bow thinking that you are getting a great deal and then you end up spending more trying to make it a bow that will work with you than if you would have purchased a new bow from the beginning. Remember too that you don't have to buy the most expensive bow to have a good bow. You can buy a good quality bow that fits you and works just fine for you without spending big bucks. Happy hunting and let us know how it all turns out!
Old 05-07-2004, 05:33 PM

Char1312:

Considering that you have been on a bow shooting sabbatical for 20 years, and the last bow you shot was a Martin Warthog, which was an excellent bow and still is, and that you have always been a finger shooter, the specs on Martin Jaguar Magnum tells me that the bow is not for you at this time.

Factually establish your draw-length, how hard you intend to hunt, what you believe you are looking for, and get back to us.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:22 AM

Thanks for all of your input guys, you have been a big help. I will let you know how I make out. This is a great website and I will be using it all the tim
Old 05-11-2004, 12:42 PM

Check out the Hoyt Protec, it is a favorite of finger shooters.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:04 PM

It most be something in the water...Your post is alomst identical to my first post on this BB about 6-weeks ago. Like you I have been on a very long break from bow hunting. I last hunted with a bow in 1982.

With respect to this BB, it is tough to beat the advice, willingness to support your effort and the general information you get from reading all of the posts. All I can really tell you is the world of archery is much different than it was when we last hunted with a bow. The changes in technology are fascinating, not to mention unbelievable. I hope you have as much fun as I am having.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:36 PM

Welcome back