Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To gut or not to gut? >

To gut or not to gut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To gut or not to gut?

Old 05-02-2004, 07:53 PM

Default RE: To gut or not to gut?

Anyone have a diagram of where the tenderloins are located? I've always taken just the backstraps, hind quarters, front shoulders, and a little bit of neck meat for stews or jerky. I've never messed around with the ribs or any of the meat on the inside. I'm generally not one to waste the meat, and the more I can get, the better.

I'd deffinately say gut your deer, here in Washington it's 70 - 80 degrees the first part of the September when the early season opens. I always have a bag or two of ice in a cooler in the truck to stuff inside the rib cage on the way home so it'll cool.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:15 PM

WH, the tender loins are under the hips, on either side of the pee bag usually. They around 10 inches long and are the BEST meat on a deer. They look like a mini back strap.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:12 PM

Ok, thanks DC! I'll deffinately be sure to snag 'em this year! Don't want to waste anything.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

No not at all on the hack job. I'm talking the hind qtr de-boned and in one piece ready to be stuffed with sausage and tied shut. Back loins are smooth cuts. I'd put him up against any butcher. I do try, but I'm not that clean.
Having done many deer myself I am 99% positive he is carving it up something fierce. No way anyone debones 2 hind quarters and gets backstraps out clean and back to the truck in 15 min.........no way. It would take you longer then that to skin it in the field on the ground.

Either he is a hack or your watch is slow.

I like many people quit messing with the shoulders. Shoulders and necks have too many tendons for the meat you get out of them.
What the hell does that even mean?? Messing with??.....You know how much meat is in the front shoulders and neck?? I sure hope you don't really think that is what "many people" do with a deer once it is down.

If processing the deer is too much work for you..........DON'T SHOOT IT........let it walk to someone who has respect for it.

If you want more meat just shoot another deer.

I don't even know what to say to a comment like that.

I agree if you have to go far from woods to garage but if you can do it in under 30 mins, do you loose that much time?
How exactly are you and your buddy doing these "butcher" jobs in the field??

I don't know where you are from man but in NY you have to have a tag on your deer when you hit the truck.........you come out with a bag of meat and you are in big trouble. There is no way to tell the deer's sex first of all.

Your words would turn my stomach a little less if I didn't get the impression that this kind of stuff is common practice among all the guys you know.

[:'(][:@][:'(]
Old 05-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not know how the laws read in other states, but here in Idaho if you waste meat. Including throwing edible game meat away after it was burchered you will be cited for waste of game. I am not trying to point fingers but I think it is wrong, and unethical to waste meat.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should add that it also adds fuel to the anti-hunters fire. People who aren't necessarily anti can also be swayed into being against hunting because they see the waste that is being left. There are programs in most states called Hunters Helping Feed the Needy, managed by either the salvation army or a local food bank. My suggestion is that if you don't want any part of your game... give it to someone who is greatful to have anything to eat. Some local butcher shops also will process the meat for free if it is then donated to one of these organizations. This might sound like your mother saying, " There are children starving in Africa... eat your dinner." But if you think about it everything makes sense. There is food that you can provide that others will be glad to have, even if you don't want it. So do a good deed and provide for the needs of others who can use it.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:45 AM

I reckon you should gut it. Well accidents to happen and one accidental slip of the knife and you've cut open it's guts[:@]. If you've never done this, don't coz it stinks[:'(].

Personally I don't take any meat from the wild pigs I shoot. For one thing, 50% of pigs in northern Queensland , Australia are known to carry at least one disease so it can be a health issue eating wild pig meat.

Secondly they are a pest and do alot of damage to the environment, so I'm doing the environment a favour by knocking one off here and there.

I still respect the game I shoot but it's just my personal opinion on taking meat from pigs. I haven't yet downed a deer but I think I will take alot of it for meat though.

Stalkin Steve
Old 05-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it really only takes him 15 minutes he is doing a serious hack job.............is that all he takes is the hind quarters and backstraps?? God I hope not.
You guys should stop and think sometimes before posting. I have a cousin in Mississippi that is almost 40 years old now. He has been part of a large hunting club in Mississippi, that runs dogs, ever since he was big enough to walk. Their house is located right in the middle of the hunting area. So everytime they killed a deer they would stop the hunt and go to their house and clean it. My cousin has been cleaning 40-50 deer a year for 30 years. I'll bet you everything that I own that he can clean one (and do as good a job as anyone here) and have the skinning shed cleaned up in 15 minutes. Just because you can't clean one that quick doesn't mean other people can't!
Old 05-03-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

How true Silent assasin, my F-I-L used to own a store in Michegan years ago and people would bring the deer to him for processing. A few years ago he was here when I brought one home and he showed me a few tips and tricks. He was 85 years old and did a 120 pound doe in less than a half hour. It had been at least 20 years since he did one so he musta been out of practice.

He once told me that during deer season he would butcher as many as 20 a day.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkin steve

Personally I don't take any meat from the wild pigs I shoot. For one thing, 50% of pigs in northern Queensland , Australia are known to carry at least one disease so it can be a health issue eating wild pig meat.

Secondly they are a pest and do alot of damage to the environment, so I'm doing the environment a favour by knocking one off here and there.

I still respect the game I shoot but it's just my personal opinion on taking meat from pigs. I haven't yet downed a deer but I think I will take alot of it for meat though.

Stalkin Steve
i'm having to question this.......our hogs do the same damage and have diseases.....why not protect yourself, wear gloves, dont get the blood in any wounds that you may have....it's some of the best meat ever.....cooked right, boars are even good.....i still wouldnt waste a critter that is taken, like was mentioned, feed the hungry, neighbors could use it.....but like you said its your personal decision.....do yourself a favor and eat them hogs , cook em well and you shouldnt have problems.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.