Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To gut or not to gut? >

To gut or not to gut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To gut or not to gut?

Old 05-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: To gut or not to gut?

I'm sorry I will change my ways. From this day forward I will only shoot huge deer. I will no longer pop that bambi. However if I should slip up and take a bambi, I promise to give the shoulders away to Hunters for the Hungry.

Now if I could only figure out what to do with them Balls.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:26 PM

Some of you guys are really full of sh!t

I NEVER gut my deer in the woods. I take them back to camp and do it there. I dispose of the guts in a pre-planned gut hole.

All this talk about effecting taste is a bunch of BS, old wives tales. I've had deer that were gutted on the spot and deer that weren't gutted until the next morning. Absolutely no difference in taste.

Oh yeah, the bung hole has meat on it as well, do you gung ho guys eat that too?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have come to the conclusion that the main issue here, is based upon the value of a game animal.
What does that animal and it's life mean to different people?

I have my own views on what it means to be a hunter and what it means to take an animals life, and until now I thought it was a view that was shared by most ……..it honestly shocks me that so many of the guys here see a living breathing animal as nothing more than a pile of meat. Worse yet, a pile of meat to waste?!!......I see guys here who also seem to view animals as just a number to add to their kill pile.
Just what the hell ever happened to respect for nature, ethics and common sense!? Maybe I was just taught a little differently, but to me a deer (or any game animal) is not just a couple of hindquarters, backstraps and "what do I do with the rest of the carcass?"[&o]

How many of you still see the beauty in the sport?

Some of you make hunting and the act of killing sound like work or a chore? I know that some people use hunting as a way to feed their family, and game animals are viewed a little differently. That's not what I am talking about here, because even that person can still have respect for the animal he has taken, and I guarantee you that person who NEEDS the meat is not leaving shoulders and neck roasts for the crows.
What I am talking about are the guys on here need to reevaluate why they hunt in the first place. If I ever feel like I have lost respect for an animal’s life or nature to the degree that I have seen here, I sincerely hope I have the ability to see what I have become and to put that knowledge to use by giving up the sport.

If these piss poor attitudes have been passed down, and this is just "How we do things", then I really pray that they aren't being passed down to the next generation of hunters because that might be the last generation to have to worry about such matters.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second that!
Even though I don't care alot for venison I feel an obligation to see to it that as little of the animal is wasted as modernly possible. Even though I was brought up with the farmer's attitude toward death I still cant help but feel a little remorse and sad when I kill a buck. I usually stand over the deer and quietly look over the beauty of God's work. But then I remember that He gave all animals unto us for sustenance and then I go on with the work part of the hunt. I dont care for people that brag about how many deer they've "WHACKED" because deer hunting has always been my religion, my way of living in the wild part of the world that so many of us have come to take for granted. Enough said, I think.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:41 PM

Very good post Matt.

Maybe I was just taught a little differently, but to me a deer (or any game animal) is not just a couple of hindquarters, backstraps and "what do I do with the rest of the carcass?"
I'm so thankful to my dad and grandfather for teaching me the proper way to view nature and all of God's creations. I am doing my best to pass this on to my 2 boys.

If these piss poor attitudes have been passed down, and this is just "How we do things", then I really pray that they aren't being passed down to the next generation of hunters because that might be the last generation to have to worry about such matters.
AMEN!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 PM

This dead dog has so many spade wounds, the actual cause of death can never be positively determined.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

It becomes easy to get this way. I have talked to several folks who were anti-hunter because deer are so cute. Several maybe needs to be defined as dozens. Now those very same people want the deer brought back under control.

When any animal gets over populated such as deer in so many areas, they become nothing short of a nuisance, very distructive, a disease threat and lets not leave out a life threat. To sum it all up they loose their popularity quickly.

I ask you how many special tags are issued today vs only ten years ago. My answer is not nearly enough in most areas. So far this year there has been 60 speacial tags bragged about on this hunting site. Those issued are distributed amoungst three people and a few lucky friends. Don't think I'm complaining about being left out. I wouldn't want anything to do with those tick infested creatures until after next Fall's cold spell. Enjoy your hunting.

What I will point out is it does boils down to too many deer and not enough hunters. Limits need to be raised and possibly go to unlimited. More available hunting days need to be opened up. Land should also be opened up on the basis if it isn't posted bow hunters can hunt there legally, public or private (I believe at least one county in NC has this law). Only when the deer population is brought back under control will the deer go from nuisance to cute again in these areas.

I love bow hunting to no end. Ethically I should be filling out all of my tags to get this problem under control. On the flip side ethically I shouldn't shoot more then I can possibly clean. Well I think the happy medium for me is to shoot the bambis when I want meat to process. If you say just donate the deer, I have no problem with that. You are still responsible to procees the deer half way. They only take hind qrts,shoulders and back straps.

Now I'm back to the theme of this thread "To gut or not to gut?"
Old 05-05-2004, 08:36 PM

I didn't take the time to read all the posts, and don't want to join in the argument about wasting meat. I do want to point out the advantages of not gutting a deer.

I typically carry the game bags I need for the meat I expect to get. The first thing I do is skin the deer in the woods. The skin (with hair) has the ability to insulate the animal against heat loss. Even a gutted animal cools slowly because fur is preventing quick cooling. Nothing cools meat quicker then getting the skin off and deboning the animal as quickly as possible. Removing the guts, just delays the process and makes an unneccessary mess. It is very quick, easy and efficient to skin and debone in the field and is much easier to pack out just the meat in a backpack. It does not take long and nothing cools the meat quicker. On big animals, like elk, it enables you to get the meat off the ground, by hanging the game bags in trees to keep the meat away from predators, if you can't get it out before dark. After the animal is deboned, it's easy to get the heart, liver and tenderloins, with small cuts placed in the right spot.

To satisfy most game laws, you just have to leave the sex organ attached to a portion of meat from the hind quarters. As soon as you get it home, you can remove that. I've used many methods to get deer and elk out, and butchered quickly and cleanly. In my opinion, nothing beats deboning it in the field, without gutting, and packing out nothing but good meat, that was cooled as quickly as it can be done.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you Straightarrow

I think, Ideally, the best way to deal with a kill would be to skin out and quarter the animal in the woods. I think that would be better for the meat and anything left would definetly NOT go to waste. The critters in the woods would make damn good use of what is left. Throwing the legs, head,bones,spine,ribcage,hide etc. in the landfill is definetly wasting. [would not have to gut by the way, as you said]. The only problem is dealing with your individual states laws concerning this.