Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How Far Will you go to be Sent Free >

How Far Will you go to be Sent Free

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Far Will you go to be Sent Free

Old 05-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default How Far Will you go to be Sent Free

I am a fanatic about trying to remain sent free. I own a set of Sent Lok liners, My hunting pants and early season jacket are Sent Lok. I know what has been said this last year about sent-lok clothing, but I happen to think it works. I have had deer just milling around under my stand with the wind in there face and they did not smell me. This could just be blind luck or the stuff actually works. I don't know but I don't ever remember this happening without scent-lok.

I also wash all my cloths in sent free soap and store them in an air tigh rubbermaid container year round. I dress in my hunting cloths when I get to where I am hunting. I where rubber boots hunting wich are sprayed down with scent killer. All of my accessories are kept in the rubbermaid container and sprayed with scent killer on my way to my stand.

Last but not least anything that goes into the woods with me is never carried inside my truck including my bowcase and quiver.

My girlfriend thinks I am nuts. Are there any others that go that extreme to stay sent free? Is there anything else I could do?[8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 05-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How Far Will you go to be Sent Free

Yeah I do all that and a whole lot more! Well except I don't bother with the scent lok suits[8D]

If your hunting for a mature whitetail you have to always be conscious of your scent and treat it as the the #1 factor that you have a little control of. Sometimes.

Oo yeah, couple things you could add......Scent free body/hair soap & deodorant, scent free vehicle(no vanila pinetrees) scent free storage of treestands(how many do this) two pair of rubber boots(takes awhile to dry the inside out[:-]) unscented toilet paper(J/K) And don't ever! EVER! get stuck on E and have to go for gas on your way to the woods!(preplan is very important)

All of this is still useless if your careless in the woods, walking around brushing up against everything and not thinking twice about your entry to your stand. Because I don't care how scent free you think you are, You aint even close cousin!
Old 05-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I too believe in scent lok suits. I actually use all scent blocker plus. I have an early season suit and a winter suit. Aside from that, I wash it all in scent free detergent...can't remember the brand. I store everything in tubberware containers. Before every hunt I shower with hunters specialties scent free soap. I dry off with a towel stored in plastic bags that have been washed in scent free detergent. Just abot all my clothes I wear under my outerware is also washed in scent free detergent.

I don't put my outware on until I get out of the truck. Before I put it on I spray everything down with scent killer spray. I actually switched over to scent blocker carbon spray.

When I get to my stand I have a small spray bottle filled. I spray down one last time. If I'm using my summit climber I make sure I spray that down as well. Can' forget about the hat, bow, arrows, or a decoy if I'm using it. Thats about it!

J

OOPS...forget about my rubber boots. Never leave home without them.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scent Free..... how far do I go? For Bowhunting...

1. Shower before every hunt and or a scout, Using scent eliminating soaps.
2. Spray down in the shower stall with Vanishing hunter, entire body.
3. Step out of shower, use a scent free washed towel to dry off and then spray down again, then slip on scent free washed sweats and socks and spray down again on top of those sweats.
4. Exit house as quickly as possible 3-4 seconds from bathroom to my front door.
5. Get in Vehicle (making sure I spray my seat down good with vanishing hunter) or get on on quad (spray it down too) to ride to the general area I am hunting.
6. Get out of Rig, or off the quad and strip down. Spray down again.
7 Put scent lok liner system on out of scent sealed bag. I wear two liners if its cool enough out. This liner systems covers me from head to toe (gloves, head cover) and is comfortable by its self even in very hot weather. If it's colder out I add a layer of camo ontop of the scent lok liners, if hot I just hunt in the liner, its olive green and blends in fine.
8. Scent lok liner is on, now spray down again. Spray fanny pack and put it on with my rubber boots if I am whitetail hunting, scent liner boots if elk hunting on the ground, spraying them inside and out before putting them on. Pull bow out of case and spray it down.
9. walk to hunting area, with whitetails, to a stand or ground blind, with elk if I am calling ........I walk and carry the Vanishing hunter if I start sweating which ya do alot elk hunting I keep spraying down now and then
when needed.
10. Get close to stand, say 500 yards out, spray down again. The stuff I use you can spray in your mouth.... and I do.
11. Get in stand, get settled, Spray down again.

I never "worry" about the wind, I still "play" it but dont worry and I often hunt right near mature bucks beds where the wind in this mountainous country swirls anyway. I pass several bucks that continue to come by right under me day to day in early season even with temps of 90+. Since I have adopted this scent free regimen, I have never witnessed a deer or elk spooking while bowhunting.

Good Luck,
Shed
Old 05-04-2004, 01:12 PM

I wash my cloths before each hunt (I have many sets)
Rubber Boots

My clothes or boots never see the inside of my truck or house unless they are in a bag or tub.

I shower with scent free soap………

And that’s about it these days.

I used to have a routine similar to Sheds, it’s a tough routine and the more power to you shed………

But it began to suck the life out of the enjoyment of it all.

And to be 100% honest – I see no difference in deer sightings or spooks (I always got busted a few times a year)

The way I hunt now I don’t think radical scent plans are that important anymore. Scent is getting lower on my list every year.

I set my stands real early in the pre season. Most of them I hunt 1 or 2 times a Month. 80% of all the decent deer I took where the first hunt of a stand.

And yes I do play risky winds……………

If they smell me they live, If they don’t smell me they die………

I would rather stink like hell and be in a great stand location than be 100% free in an O.K. location.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nah, I just go in the woods to hunt and have some fun. It's too much work doing all the little things. About all I do is shower and wash my hunting clothes with scent free soaps and detergent from Atsko.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:22 PM

Not far !!!!

How far will you go to pay for the owner of Hunter Specialties,Scent Lok, etc. kid's college is my question ???? [:-]
Old 05-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking of having surgery to remove all the sweat pores from my body.....maybe next season.

I just try and keep my clothes scent free with the tub idea, shower with scent free stuff and use the sprays before entering the woods.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:16 PM

I'm going to give the scentlok a try this fall. I got a great deal on ebay for a scentlok coverall. I also picked up scnet block gloves and head net.
I personally believe that the head and hands are the culprits that give off most of the scent.

I'm skeptical but I got all the listed above for less than 100$ so why not?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:19 PM

Your not scent free. PERIOD PERIOD PERIOD. Go try tho[8D]

Quick Reply: How Far Will you go to be Sent Free

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.