Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How far is to far to let an arrow fly? >

How far is to far to let an arrow fly?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far is to far to let an arrow fly?

Old 04-30-2004, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How far is to far to let an arrow fly?

The farthest I've ever shot a deer was 35yds. If the conditions where right I woulnd't be scared to shoot a deer at 50yds no wind, still deer, nothing in the way ect.....

I shoot out door target a FITA rounds where you shoot almost 100yds. Thats not with my hunting bow of course! The farthest pin I have on that is 60yds but I'll never use that on a Whitetail.

I'm shooting right around 270 Fps with my hunting bow and right at 280 Fps with my target.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:04 AM

Rack, how exactly do you measure that????? You don't think it has anything to do with how proficient some people are and how confident they are at making longer shots?
I guess I should of added Max range over their true capable range................feel better

Everyone I have meet that shoots at ranges longer than they "should" (and I have meet alot of them) - could really give a rats a[:-][:-] what the outcome was.

That isn't one of your brighter statements
Have I EVER had a bright one..............
Old 04-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

-
Old 04-30-2004, 09:35 AM

Silent, I tend to agree with Rack on this one, especially when we are talking about the masses of average Joe bowhunters, who pick up their bows a few weeks before season and just fling arrows at deer hoping to get a good hit.

However, for guys like us and others on this board who live for this stuff, I think it is based on capabilities, experience, and situations.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:48 AM

Could agree more with Rack. Two people that have the same ability to shot there bows. The man that feels the least remorse will shot (Or at least try) farther. I know some people who have 1/2 the ability of me that will shot to 50 yards.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not saying that Racks statements were completely eroneous, however, I feel like it's inappropriate to make a "blanket statement". For 'average joe" bowhunter he MAY be absolutely correct but don't lump all bowhunters into the same category. Chuck Adams takes a lot of long shots and apparently he is quite capable of making them. However, I don't think any of us know enough about him to say that his doesn't care about wounding animals. In Rack's statement, Chuck (along with many others) would have been lumped right in their with your average slob hunter and I think a distinction needs to be made.

Have I EVER had a bright one..............
Actually Rack I tend to agree with a lot of what you have to say. Now that either means that you're pretty bright or I'm not[8D] I'll let you decide which is which
Old 04-30-2004, 10:09 AM

It is an individual choice. I see it as the distance you can confidently make an ethical kill shot on the animal you are hunting.
That may be as short a 10 yards or out to 70 or more.
There is an interesting piece in Bow&Arrow mag, may 2004 about Extreme Accuracy ( STARTS ON PAGE 38). The hunters featured in this article shoot out to 150 and 130 yards in practice. The thing is these two fellows are 6'6" and 6'7" and shoot bows of 87# and 75# respectively.
The article in part address this subject and does so very well.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with Matt except for one issue. Find the distance that you can shoot all your arrows into an area the size of your intended quarry and then for hunting divide that by two. Because when the adrenalin is pumping, the knees are a knockin, the game is moving, the brain goes bananas.
I can easily shoot 6" groups at 60 yards under target conditions. My absolute max for deer sized game is 35 yards. That's just my ethical standards.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:30 AM

I wouldn't shoot at wildgame beyond 30 yards in the wood's.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

I would say confidence has a lot to do with it. From now to the end of jan. I try to at least shoot 15 minutes a day if you truly have the confidence you can make them longer shots .
It all depends on the situation and the feel you guys that shoot alot know what I mean.
I am not braggin I took a cow elk at 70yds and she only went 35yds but I knew the range ( have a laser range finder) no wind and it felt good. But I have also passed up good bulls at 50yds becase it just didnt feel good.

Quick Reply: How far is to far to let an arrow fly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.