Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mock Scrapes

Old 05-21-2004, 08:24 PM

Default RE: Mock Scrapes

Interesting thread! Thanks for posting it. I learned something!
good luck
Old 05-22-2004, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I bet you learned there's no end to what someone will do to push their product.[&:]
Old 05-22-2004, 06:07 PM

I bet you learned there's no end to what someone will do to push their product.
LOL
Actucally I just peed in a couple of old scrapes when I was out today. I also took a page from your book and took a dump next to a tree.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

99.99 percent of all bucks killed over mock scrapes could be killed without all the fuss and muss and stinking up the woods. That's just my opinion. IF the deer are there and you do your homework, slip in, slip out, change stands often... low impact hunting... by the time you finish all that dirt scraping and tree rubbing etc etc... you could have alread had the deer in the truck. Why do people feel a need to make a mock scrape. The buck will make his own if hunting scrapes is your thing. It still all basically comes down to food, cover, does and routes to and from. You figure that out you can kill the deer without him ever knowing you've been there. No amount of "perfect Pee" is going to cover up all that traffic in and out to service your mock scrapes. Why make all that stink and alert the deer. Find the deer, find the food, hunt the wind and weather... dead deer.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:18 AM

I like Buck Fever also and it's one of the few products that I actually go out and purchase. Being a year around scout I just love to play the wind and stealth my ways towards the scrapes when they are actively being used. If you are extremely careful you can get a very close-up view of this amazing whitetail activity. Unless you have observed this real time the next best endeavor is to set up a trail cam. Good luck to all scrape freaks, (your's truly, included), and as a bit of advice, try a drop or two of coon piss periodically. I suppose a whitetails nose is also interested as to who else is pissing by their scrape.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:47 AM

titleist- 03, Great to see someone wears the best camo ever, I thought I was the only one[8D] Bulldog1
Old 05-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bulldog I think the secret is getting out. There seems to be more and more people wearing it. It's a great pattern, if you call it that. I can't wait to use it for a full season this year instead of just a the last month.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:27 AM

I bet you learned there's no end to what someone will do to push their product.
[&:]

Hey play nice. I plan to mass market my urine this fall under the label STINKY PEE. I think everyone should try it. It will be the new "RAVE" in useless gear.

I understand what your saying david. My main reason for trying this at my local hunting spots is so I can moniter the sites and see how much activity they get. You're correct in saying that it is not needed. I certainly do not need this advantage to hunt my local properties. I can do my scouting and patterning as time allows.

With that being said. I have a hunting cam in Hancock Co. Maine that hold some of the largest living whitetails I have ever seen(not as big as deer destroyers but big never the less). This camp is about 4 hours drive from my home so scouting and patterning can be pretty tough. I am confident from my experiment so far, that I can spend a weekend at my hunting camp and find the right places for a mock scrape set up. I know the land well but as anyone who hunts "big woods" knows It can be dificult to locate the deer and have a set up that will give you a quality shot. Can it be done? Certainly, you're damn right it can. Now I'll be taking all my years knowledge of the land and deer travel patterns to find the perfect spot. Then I'll add a sort of "whitetail starbucks" (no pun intended) to the mix. It's now trendy to get arrowed at a mock scrape.

With as much money as I spend on hunting a year what is another 15$. Besides, I'm always looking for an excuse to head into the woods. Now I have a few more.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

With as much money as I spend on hunting a year what is another 15$. Besides, I'm always looking for an excuse to head into the woods. Now I have a few more.
Roger excuse for getting out. Why didn't I think of that. My wife wouldn't buy it though. She'd say you pee off the back patio enough... why worry about another spot.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:06 AM

Not the ONLY one...

Best Camo I have ever owned...