Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I challenge anyone....... >

I challenge anyone.......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I challenge anyone.......

Old 04-26-2004, 01:03 PM

Default I challenge anyone.......

To convince me that shooting trad equip is any more challenging than shooting my compound target rig.

No hunting, No crossbow cr[:-]p either

Strictly the sport of Archery.

I don't think you can
Old 04-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I challenge anyone.......

oh man, here we go with another 9 page topic!

I won't even try to challenge that.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sights, letoff, mechanical release aids, drop away rests, machines risers .... the equipment alone lends to why the vast majority of bowhunters love compounds for their ease of use and accuracy,

3D and indoor shooting scores - by far better with people who shoot compounds.

P&Y record books .... filled mostly with compound kills ..... the reason being that most use compounds, right ? Why is that ?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm ?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am saying that a trads realistic upper end goals are NO more challanging than a compounders with all the good stuff.
Upper end goals ?Are you talking about me and you and which bows are more challenging or Larry Yien, Howard Hill, Olympians etc etc ? Huge differnce man, some guys are gifted, most of us aint

Also, look at the time invested in master the given weapon. Again, with exceptions the average guy really has to put a lot more effort into becoming efficient/accurate at the SAME ranges with a recurve/longbow as opposed to a compound. True or not ?

rybohunter - Glad you mentioned that ! Do you know how much MORE difficult it is to draw on a deer with a recurve/longbow than a compound ? Same difference we're talking about guy, same difference.

But is a top compound shooter goals the same as a top Trads goals???????
Yes, same goals, shoot a perfect round - right ? Compounders always get a lot closer, don't they ? And if both bows are the same challenge, why different divisions ?

Why is your free style a seperate category if it isn't more of a challenge ?

BOWFANATIC

Concerning hunting when hunting within both capabilities there is no more challenge with trad gear. I'm still waiting for stealthy or anyone to debate that issue logically.
Logically ? A bug buck is coming through the woods - you know, old mossyhorns. He steps behind a tree at 32 steps and you draw your compound. He steps out ...l but not far enough to see the lungs ... and you hold for 30 seconds until he steps once more and t then you shoot and kill him. Do that with a recurve big boy. Oh, or you could have shot him at 45 yards when he was making that scrape. The draw ability to draw and hold is enormous as is the extended distances that one is capable of shooting with a compound.

I'll anxiously awaut your logical response

do you think becoming Pro level (real pro - not wanna be pro) is harder for either or the same??
Harder for compounders because the equipment is so dang good that everyone shoots high scores of course
Old 04-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

To convince me that shooting trad equip is any more challenging than shooting my compound target rig.

I don't think you can
I'm just not sure you will listen is the problem here.

Look at it this way - 80 yards away to the target - you are shooting an 06, from the hip. Do you think hitting a bullseye (or even the taret) would be more chanllenging than freestanding, shouldering the same rifle with dialed in irons? Same concept more or less.

Traditional shooting is WAY more of a challenge. Are you kidding me? You are aren't you. Just want to get the boys all rialed up, ah? Get a grip dude. I could take just about any able bodied soul off the street and have them shooting a tricked out, sighted in compound with great accuracy in a matter of a few dozen arrows. You think this would hold true for a recurve?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

BF, R-a has taken the hunting aspect of the question OUT of this thread. His thread, his rules. It's not up for debate on this thread. Start your own if that's what you want to talk about. I'd like to go there myself.
I believe I gave my opinion which pertains to RA's thread?[&:] If I confused anyone , sorry! Not trying to hijack anyones thread. I believe RA and I share the same opinion on this matter.

The same logic I apply to the hunting scenarios can apply to Rack Attacks thread.

In my experience the only challenge that comes with shooting trad gear proficiently (for hunting or target) is TIME! I agree it takes much more practice with trad gear to maintain proficiency.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Logically ? A bug buck is coming through the woods - you know, old mossyhorns. He steps behind a tree at 32 steps and you draw your compound. He steps out ...l but not far enough to see the lungs ... and you hold for 30 seconds until he steps once more and t then you shoot and kill him. Do that with a recurve big boy. Oh, or you could have shot him at 45 yards when he was making that scrape. The draw ability to draw and hold is enormous as is the extended distances that one is capable of shooting with a compound.

I'll anxiously awaut your logical response
It will have to be another thread! I dont want to get yelled at for hijacking RA's thread!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think some are getting off base as to the intent of the question.It is an archery question.

For me compound is more challenging BECAUSE my goals are much higher.If I can hit a pie plate at 20-30 yards with a traditional bow I am happy(I can usually get that in a short period of time) but if I can't hit a 1" dot at 40 consistantly,I still have work to do in my mind.I have days when I can do this but more days when I can not.And I work at it ALOT.

Yes,the traditional equipment is harder to master but the the question is it more challenging.It is really in the mind of the bowholder.

For someone else the traditional may be more challenging because they don't have a goal of hitting 1" dot at 40 with either and are just worried about what kind of group they get at 20 yards.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is really in the mind of the bowholder.
lmao!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:11 AM

Oh boy is this topic a can of worms! We're talking "just archery" here, right? Well, that depends on what kind of shooting we're talking about. While I haven't shot traditional my whole life, I spent most of my hunting and shooting life with either a recurve or a bare-bones compound. If we're comparing Instinctive Shooting VS. Aided (sights, release, overdraw, all the whistles and bells) then there is NO way you can convince me it's easier to shoot traditional.

"Traditional shooting is WAY more of a challenge. Are you kidding me? You are aren't you. Just want to get the boys all rialed up, ah? Get a grip dude. I could take just about any able bodied soul off the street and have them shooting a tricked out, sighted in compound with great accuracy in a matter of a few dozen arrows. You think this would hold true for a recurve?"

I agree with the above quote. What kind of shooting are we looking at here? Let's use the above quote and set up a scenario. You pick two people off the streets, hell, let's make it REAL interesting... you pick a man and his clone (I know it's not possible, but bear with me). You give the man (let's call him "Joe") a recurve. You give his clone (let's call him "Clone") a compound with all the trimmings. Let's say that both bows have... 45# draw weights. Okay? Now, we're not shooting for points here, the object is to hit a paper plate downrange. Let's say that they both have a hundred arrows to practice with. After that, they will be allowed five shots, whoever hits the plate the most wins. If they both hit the plate five times, the better group wins. Let's say that Joe takes his recurve and does EXTREMELY well, for a begginer. Clone takes his decked out compound. They both fire their hundred arrows. Let's say that Joe, being naturally good with a compound, puts all five arrows into the plate. This stands to reason that Clone will be just a naturally gifted with shooting. The clone is going to slaughter Joe in that kind of situation. While this may make little sense, I find it impossible to believe that a compound is just as difficult to shoot as a traditional bow.
In the above quote, I'd also have to say that you're trying to get everyone riled up on this point. I cannot think of ANY post that would fire more people up than this one. IMO, a recurve (or longbow, whichever you choose) is infinitely more difficult to shoot. Sure, there are some guys (like the Olympians recognized in a previous response) who could castrate a gnat... and some have had little or no training. Now what about hunting? It's so much easier to bag an animal with a compound. Wait, I take that back. I've shot numerous geese with a recurve and I've tried with a compound. Do you have ANY idea how difficult it is to shoot at a flying goose with a compound? So yeah, a compound is much more difficult to use in that situation. Dang, I burned up my break on this one post. See y'all later.

Quick Reply: I challenge anyone.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.