Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are they mutually exclusive? >

Are they mutually exclusive?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are they mutually exclusive?

Old 04-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Are they mutually exclusive?

I'm sorry but I have to believe that shooting a bow at 25yrds is the same as shooting a shot gut at 60yrds. I practice more than my friends but they shoot bigger deer.

You practice what you feel you need and I won't bring up the lost deer won't go waste. Secondly, that dosen't mean take a bad shot or a shot you can't make.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:14 AM

Hunting ability and shooting ability are two different things. A really good hunter will typically become proficient enough to take game, but not necessarily good enough to win any shooting contests. That would often take too much time and practice, of which they devote their time to field work and actually hunting. Of course, there are exceptions. I know several exceptional archers, who are also very good hunters.

One thing I have noticed, is that most great hunters are low tech, simply because most are older and learned on "low tech" equipment. There was nothing else at the time they learned. They have a tendancy to stick with what has worked in the past.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am surprised that nobody has considered my next comment yet especially considering some of the members who have posted.....

I guess the converse of your statement could also be true.

...that the best hunters are not the best shots and definetly not the most knowledgeable about equipment.
Well then maybe the best techs are not the best shots or the best hunters. I have not shot a deer in 10 years!

Seriously though, I can and do agree with your statement. I know of several very successful hunters (read as they shoot big bucks year after year) who have literally no understanding of the equipment they use. They know that they should wax their strings periodically and that they need to have their string and cable(s) replaced every other year or so but they have no recognition of some of the finer aspects of the equipment that they continue to utilize.

In my opinion that is what makes this sport as great as it is. Each one of us can approach it from an entirely different perspective and yet no single perspective is entirely "right" or "wrong" just different.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the best hunters are the luckiest hunters, have good location, time to do it, and good patience and woodsmanship above all else.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:48 AM

I think the best hunters are the luckiest hunters
There is a very well known saying about luck, that I fully believe in.

"Luck occurs when prepardedness meets opportunity, and opportunity is everywhere."

Nothing could be more true then when it is applied to hunting. Sure, anyone can get lucky once in a great while, but when it happens every year, like it does to some, it's not luck.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:55 AM

I do not think they are mutualy exclusive. From my own humble experience I know for a fact that I am a better hunter, overall, than my son, Joe. He out techs me something aweful and is a better shot. What I do is learn our areas very well so that I can place him in a great situation for the great shots he makes. He knows the deal and just looks my way after finding his kill & says, "thanks dad"! That is when you know you are a good hunter and a fairly good dad to boot. I would not trade that for any techie knowledge but I must admit some of you techsters have enlightened me this past year. Thanks to all.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I defeinetly agree about the best hunters being the luckiest.

Luck= Preparation + Oppurtunity

The harder I work the luckier I seem to get!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Not mutually exclusive. I personally am a horrendous bow tech, a mediocre shot, and a mediocre hunter. I've got all the bases covered!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Spike

An interesting post. I could be considered a novice techie as I like to try out the new stuff that looks interesting. I have a small shop and usually try out stuff before I'll recommend it to others. I don't get out to do my scouting like I should - scout & hunt at the same time - which isn't good. I have friend that has shot quite a few big bucks, which is important for HIM, but I always tell him that if I worked as hard at it as he does I wouldn't enjoy the hunt - but he does get the big ones. As far as some "naturals" I don't know about that, but my youngest son seems to fall into that category. Shot (and dropped in its tracks) a deer the lst day he hunted. He has had to let the bow sit for a couple of years sometimes, but when he picks it up he is right back in there after a few shots. Shot fingers too - couldn't get him sold on a release until he got a newer high let-off bow a few years ago, then he got one that shoots on releasing the trigger instead of pulling it. Seem where ever I set him up he has deer come in. I have seen good target shots that for whatever reason cann't seem to hit a deer,. and guys that do fair on targets, but get their deer every year. There's more to hunting than shooting.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

That might be true with compound shooting because the bows are easy to shoot and accurate ... really good traditional archers practice a lot I think to keep their edge in shooting and it all rolls into hunting too. JMO

Quick Reply: Are they mutually exclusive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.