Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Group size?

Old 04-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Group size?

I have no doubt that there are some folks who can put together some ridiculous groups at 40-50 yards. I occasionally shoot with semi-pro 3D shooters as well and they simply amaze me at what they are capable of achieving.

Myself? I am not the shooter that most folks are. If I can get 7 or 8 inch groups at 50 yards then I am happy. JeffB tells me it is because I shoot too short of a bow.....
Old 04-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Citori,i know exactily what your saying.I to see posts on here showing 40,50,60 yard groups with the arrows touching each other.Now there are probably very few shooters on this forum that can do this consistantly,but if you will notice,alot of these fine people will make a very tight group at 40 yards and be very proud of themselves,admittenly stating that this was a good day,and just wants to show their group off.I dont think anyone here ever said that they can make these groups at 60 yards on a regular bases"At least i never noticed "
Old 04-15-2004, 10:50 AM

I have been shooting for almost 20 years and still cant get that type of group at 40 to 50 yds, but at 20 and 30 look out. I never take a shot over 30 and 90% of all my harvests were under 25yds.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the amount of people on the internet, I have no doubts that there are a bunch of people who can shoot archery MOA or better, out to 100 yards, and some of them are floating around this and other boards. However......

Keep in mind, that Atlantic City is coming up, one of the biggest target shoots around. It is shot INDOORS so no wind, consistent lighting etc, the "10" ring is roughly 4-5 inches and is shot out to 60M. This puts it INSIDE a MOA shooting (60M is roughly 66 yards). Nobody has ever shot both days clean, I think a clean 1 day has been done 3-4 times. This is the top target shooters in the country/world.

I am also sure that most here, myself included, can and do shoot 3-4 inch groups at 50+ yards, ON OCCASSION. Heck I just stacked 4 arrows at 50 all close to touching, I was so proud of myself I took a picture of it!! Can I do that often, heck NO. But it sure if fun bragging about it!

One way to shoot tighter groups, at least for me, is to aim at a smaller dot.

--Bob
Old 04-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

PABowhnter said it. A lot has to do with the kind of bow you shoot. I'm sure if he got himself a ProTec with LXPro limbs, he'd shrink his 50 yard groups in half, immediately. Long, deflexed riser bows are simply more stable than short, reflexed riser bows. Less letoff helps too. Sure, you get slower arrow speeds with the higher brace heights, but they are far easier to shoot accurately at longer ranges. And when you have known distances...
Old 04-15-2004, 12:00 PM

I guess it's all relative to what you or I think consistant is !!

If I'm shooting 2-3" groups at 50 yrds 80-90 % of the time for several weeks or more..........I consider that "consistant" at the time !

There are plenty of folks that can shoot good........I shoot better than anyone I shoot with.........but I get my arse kicked at 3D shoots and Spots ! But I always shoot my hunting rig........and always post good scores IMO .........just not tops !

If your " pro buddies" laugh at what you tell them..........it makes no difference.........there's still a lot of guys here doing it !! If you can't do it and are happy... fine..........if you want to be able to do it ......keep practicing......it can and will come if you put the effort into it ! Life's too short to be worrying about all that kind of stuff to me !!!!

Good Luck !!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:28 PM

How many arrows make a group? If it is three and you shoot 4 can you call one a flyer?

I don't see what the big deal is and why someone would laugh about tight groups. I put my arrows pretty close together myself and I know I don't shoot as much as alot of people. Just because someone isn't a pro doesn't mean they can't shoot like one. I don't shoot a great deal at 50, but when I do I can put 2 arrows nearly touching consistantly. With my new bow I have to be careful not the destroy my arrows inside of 40. Now that is fun. Good shooting everyone.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:15 PM

Dabingaboom - you guys don't have cr[:-]p

Should be ashamed of it all - 3", 4" groups.......shotgun patterns.......weak

You want a spanking - I will shot the sh[]t out of the lot of ya

Arthur - no sights, no this, no that ----------------------- No Game

Bring it on - I will strip it down - I gotta keep my dropaway on......... but............I will put a flipper in my pocket......just to make it even...may even stick a tab in my sock if I feel good.

I can stick em boys.........stick em D[]mn tight.

I can't shoot more than one arrow a day - don't matter how many spots are up - ole Robin hood is coming. They got fear them arrows fear.............How bout you......

Skirts
Old 04-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Arthur - no sights, no this, no that ----------------------- No Game

Bring it on - I will strip it down - I gotta keep my dropaway on......... but............I will put a flipper in my pocket......just to make it even ...may even stick a tab in my sock if I feel good.
R-A, BRING IT! (he says as he's pawing the ground like an enraged bull) Loser buys the refreshments! Bring lotsa money 'cuz I get plumb thirsty when I shoot.[8D]
Old 04-15-2004, 02:26 PM
nub

R-A, BRING IT! (he says as he's pawing the ground like an enraged bull) Loser buys the refreshments! Bring lotsa money 'cuz I get plumb thirsty when I shoot.
How bout you 2 meet half way, say WI. I'll furnish all the refreshments.[8D] I get to shoot too tho. Fixed blade broadheads on all our arras.[]

Quick Reply: Group size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.