Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary? >

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Old 04-22-2004, 12:11 PM

Default RE: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

g
Old 04-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good analogy Rack

Stealthy,
I didn't want to get drug into the Xbow fight, but you insist on going there. I will give you that a highly skilled compound shooter and ANY(even the most novice) Xbow shooter are going to be group roughly the same regarding accuracy. Now take a brand new archer shooting a compound and a brand new Xbow user, and the Xbow user will dust them by a mile.

I'll take a jump ..... shooting a bow that literally requires very little practice (as some posts above have validated) is in all honesty choosing a weapon that allows the archer to capitalize on the seasons that are open, and not a true love for the sport.

I like squirrell hunting. I don't particularly love shooting my .22 though. I use the .22 so that I can hunt. I am not a shooter, I'm not into shooting sports, I use the gun as a tool.
How hypocrital is it the you bust on me for not having a love of archer yet still choosing to hunt, when you do the same regarding squirrels.

So it is with bowhunting .... a lot of guys use the bow to capitalize on archery season and bowhunt .... but they're not really archers who love archery, are they ?
Maybe they aren't, but why should that prevent them form enjoying bowhunting. You don't see me jumping all over you for shooting squirrels when you don't enjoy rifle shooting, why are people jumping all over me because I'm not a die hard fanatic archer.

Answer me why a true love of archery should be a pre-requisite to bowhunt?????? But a true fascination with guns not be required
Old 04-22-2004, 12:12 PM

I'd say there might be a slight difference between other sports/recreation and bowhunting. The fact we kill live game might make a difference. No big deal if I hit a slice in golf or have a throwing erra in a baseball game. Wounding an animal in bowhunting should be a big deal. Thats what seperates us from other sports. So participation/preparation might a factor with bowhunting. If my preparation is sucking the life out of the sport I'd say thats a good thing. Better then the life of some wounded animal. The thing about this sport is you get back what you put into it. I hope that the kids coming into this sport get a chance to learn good ethics as I was taught. Jerry
Old 04-22-2004, 12:14 PM

First Off - My response was tongue and Cheek - I was doing my best impression of YOU and others.........LOL

Guess I did good...............

My buck is better then yours, therefore i am the better hunter. No luck goes into your kills either. You are the greatest Nimrod (Not from the bible).
Or.........my way is better than yours, my practice, my ethics, my shooting, my tuning.....bla, bla,bla bla.......

Get it????????

Nimrod
Old 04-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ewolf,
that went right over your head.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have read most of this thread (not all) but I am going to go ahead and reply this way and you all can take it as you will. I shoot the mojority of the summer and shoot thousands of shots, however I have a good friend that pulls his bow out and shoots maybe 3 times the week before season and that's it. Last year he killed 5 deer with his bow. 3 bucks ( 2 DANDIES) and 2 does. He POLAXED all 5 of them and killed a deer everytime he dropped the string. Now call that what you will but I would be willing to bet that not many people that posted on this thread were more successful and I know no one had a better kill shot average. it's pretty hard to call those averages unethical. JMO
Old 04-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a trad guy shoots his bow every day of the year and scouts a month before the season. Do I have the right to say he is not a bow HUNTER - just a Bow shooter.
I suppose you could say all those things and more, but then you'd be making the case that equipment doesn't make the hunter, the hunter makes the hunter - correct ? (I'm playing along here)

I will give you that a highly skilled compound shooter and ANY(even the most novice) Xbow shooter are going to be group roughly the same regarding accuracy. Now take a brand new archer shooting a compound and a brand new Xbow user, and the Xbow user will dust them by a mile.
I challenge that. I bet almost anybody can shoot a tuned compound well at 20 yards - its not a great skill, it really isn't.

How hypocrital is it the you bust on me for not having a love of archer yet still choosing to hunt, when you do the same regarding squirrels.
Careful ... you mean I don't have a love of SHOOTING - right ? True, I don't, I am using the gun as a tool to do what i DO want to do, and that hunt squirrells. But heres the kicker - you can use most anything to hunt squirrels with and nobody bitches about mine is better than your way etc. Use dogs, shotguns, .22's, bows, double team them .... whatever. Right ?

Answer me why a true love of archery should be a pre-requisite to bowhunt?????? But a true fascination with guns not be required
An excellent question that isn't easy to answer. Maybe it has to do with the difficulty of the weapon ? Maybe its a traditions thing ? Maybe its none of that but is just something we all talk about in the off season and the core reason is the G&F departments of yours and my states decide we can use XXX weapons to control the deer herds ?

I'll say it again ... and please understand this is true .... I do not care what you choose to bowhunt with, I really don't, not until modern compounds and/or crossbow are proven to be a negative to the sport of archery. You can expand that to guns too .... use whatever you want to unless it violates what is generally considered ethical and/or until it becomes a negative to the deer herds. An example would be in central US states where rifles are not legal - if they were, there would be more hazards afield and many more deer killed - negatives to the sport.

I am tying this all into one package at the end .... archery equipment doesn't make the hunter - I think we can all agree on that - however there is a big difference when it comes time to shoot. The whole hunt for that 180" whitetail is almost identical up until the shot - and at that point if you have a compound in hand, or a crossbow, or a recurve/ longbow, things change drastically. Prior to the hunt too theres a difference if we want to take into account the time and dedication that one must have/show to master a given weapon.

Is or isn't that true ?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

silentassassin - what kind of bow does he shoot ?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:45 PM

3 bucks ( 2 DANDIES)
you know its not trad.....................JK
Old 04-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

You mean they make more than one kind? He shoots a Bowtech Black Knight (low brace).

Quick Reply: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.