Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary? >

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Old 04-22-2004, 11:04 AM

Default RE: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

HELLO????

This is BOWHUNTING........it is not the most important thing on the face of the Earth

To some its an all year pasion, to others the feaver kicks in before the season, for others its a few days out in the woods with there budies. Its a Hobby, a recreation.

I don't like to see a guy who can't hit the broadside of a Barn go into the woods as much as the next guy. But many can ( I used to) shoot pretty darn good with a month of shooting. Who cares if they are making good kills.

Since when did the requirement to hunt involve devoting your life to the sport???

By ya'lls own admission you don't practice much nor do you have much time or love for shooting your bows. What the hell ARE you then ?
Uhh.........He is a bowhunter - he hunts with a bow - He is probably a good shot. I could give a rats a[:-][:-] how much he practices. You do not have to LOVE your bow to be a good bowhunter.

I'm not saying your not a good hunter. I'm just saying you might try a crossbow or rifle till you find the time to make the necessary preparations to bowhunt
Maybe a few weeks is all he needs?????

I shoot all year round - about 300 to 500 arrows a week. I know for darn sure I could put the bow down - pick it up a month beforethe season - maybe even a week - and shoot lights out. Its not rocket science - and who says it has to be.

There are different levels of participation in every sport/recreation. We are no different - and we shouldn't be.

You guys suck the life right out of this sport.[:'(]
Old 04-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are different levels of participation in every sport/recreation. We are no different - and we shouldn't be.
EXACLTY!!

Good post rack
Old 04-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

rybohunter - Go back and re-read your posts. You like to hunt, and you like to hunt with a bow in archery season .... but is shooting your bow something you really like to do ? You said

It's not a matter of hate, so much as there are much more things I'd rather do than shoot my bow. I shoot until I feel comfortable to take a deer at my ranges, and typically that doesn't take too long. In the grand scheme of things I'd much rather sit and glass a field, shoot groundhogs, walk the dog, or go fishing than shoot my bow.
Grand scheme of things huh ? I can think of few things I'd rather do than go out and stump shoot a few wood shafts thats I've just crowned/crested. THATS archery, its a love for shooting bows, watching arrows fly and tinkering with everything involved. Are you and I bowhunters ? Yes. Do we both love bowhunting ? Yes. Do we both love archery ? I dunno man, by your posts I'd say not. You shoot a compound because its easy to master and its a challenge enough for you. You don't make the time to practice to become good enough by your standards to shoot a recurve/longbow nor do you really love shooting your current bow.

You are no different than a crossbow shooter in your reasons to choose your weapon. If you cannot see that I cannot make it any clearer.

I got no problems at all with crossbows because I can SEE that weapons choices mean little when it comes to bowhunting as long as compounds are legal archery equipment. As the weapons advance, as they get higher and higher tech, something is lost in archery that is harder and harder to recover. A modern compound is not at all unlike a crossbow - yet ya'll see the convenience in YOUR choice of weapons, the ease of use in YOUR choice of weapons but you cannot see beyond YOU CHOICES> How hypocritical is that ?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:18 AM

g.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:22 AM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

Who cares if they are making good kills.

WHO CARES? Any RESPONSIBLE HUNTER.

It meant to read "If they are making clean kills, who cares"
Old 04-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

IL_BOW_MAN - I can pick up your tuned compound and be shooting great groups at 30 yard in 5 minutes.

Am I an archer ?

I can pick up a crossbow and do the same thing.

Am I an archer ?

I can shoot longbows and recurve and not be nearly as accurate as I am with the above bows ....

Am I an archer ?

Now, I am going to choose one of the weapons above, for whatever reason, and go bowhunting. Does it matter which I choose ? Crossbows and compounds for the ease of use and convenience, or the recurve/longbow for additional challenge ... but does it matter ? It shouldn't, should it ?

If it does, explain why, I'm all ears. If the choice of weapon matter - if the choice of weapons somehow changes the sport you're participating in that much, theres surly a great reason why.

I'll take a jump ..... shooting a bow that literally requires very little practice (as some posts above have validated) is in all honesty choosing a weapon that allows the archer to capitalize on the seasons that are open, and not a true love for the sport.

I like squirrell hunting. I don't particularly love shooting my .22 though. I use the .22 so that I can hunt. I am not a shooter, I'm not into shooting sports, I use the gun as a tool.

So it is with bowhunting .... a lot of guys use the bow to capitalize on archery season and bowhunt .... but they're not really archers who love archery, are they ?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:34 AM

I try and shoot all year around. I take some time off during the winter Mo but other then that I'm shoot when ever I get a chance.sometime its once a week and sometime it 3 or 4 time a week. I just like to know what going on with my bow before deer season.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy_01 Do you think everyone should practice like you do ? Why or why not ?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:47 AM

You shoot a compound because its easy to master and its a challenge enough for you. You don't make the time to practice to become good enough by your standards to shoot a recurve/longbow nor do you really love shooting your current bow.
If a trad guy shoots his bow every day of the year and scouts a month before the season. Do I have the right to say he is not a bow HUNTER - just a Bow shooter.

Because you know..........I am in the woods almost every weekend of the year.

Are you?????......... Or do you take the EASY WAY out and just hope for a Dink or a Doe??? Because REAL hunters like me Hunt the way it was meant to be, for Mature Bucks. Real Hunters don't shoot Dinks or Does.

Do you choose the Hardest Weapon to shoot and then Copout by shooting little doe?????????

If you LOVED BOWHUNTING as much as I do - you would be out scouting ALL year. It is obvious you Don't. You are just a stick shooter[:-]

How does that sound???

I sound Like an A[][] don't I??????????

So do you
Old 04-22-2004, 12:02 PM

if you shoot often you can find a problem before it to lat. like when you have a big old deer standing there and you pull the bow back and it make a lot of nose Bam there goes the deer. now i'm not say it will happen but it could happen.or you might over look a bad spot on the string and I realy don't have to tell what could happen if that brakes. or you could have a bad riser, there is a lot of thing that can and will go wrong if you don't look over your equiment. that is my .02 worth if you need more just go back and read some of the other post they have said a lot of stuff.

Quick Reply: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.