Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary? >

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Old 04-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Work is slow....I'll debate some more.

I will never totally welcome Xbow users in archery seasons just for the simple fact that the weapon is already drawn and at a ready state. Say what you want, but you all have something out there that you are as pigheaded about...this one is mine.

We have an early ML season, they can put Xbowers in with that doe season. And even put them in the late archery/flintlock season, I just don't feel they should run step for step with hand drawn bows.

BUT like I said before, IF the seasons didn't get shorter, then fine I won't like it, but I'll find ways to deal with the influx of hunters.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boy stealthy, you must be somewhat bored!!

I can't say tha I would welcome the crossbows as regular arechery equipment, but I would have to deal with it. Now for a handicapped person....that is a whole other story.

I will never totally welcome Xbow users in archery seasons just for the simple fact that the weapon is already drawn and at a ready state. Say what you want, but you all have something out there that you are as pigheaded about...this one is mine.

We have an early ML season, they can put Xbowers in with that doe season. And even put them in the late archery/flintlock season, I just don't feel they should run step for step with hand drawn bows.

BUT like I said before, IF the seasons didn't get shorter, then fine I won't like it, but I'll find ways to deal with the influx of hunters.
I agree with this though!!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

rybohunter - Now you're coming around

Shouldn't bowhunting be about peoples choice and peoples challenges ? The TYPE of weapons I think should be regulated partially on how easy it makes the challenge and partially how those equipment choices effect overall success rate and kill and how that in turn affects the G&F setting of seasons and bag limits.

I think in an ideal world archery seasons would allow crossbows, compounds and recurves/longbows. IF the success of hunters is too high, IF the kill becomes too high then of those 3 groups find which one is causing the high stats that threaten the length or bag limit of archery season.

I suspect at that point, compounds and crossbows success and kill stats would shine like a beason compared to recurve/longbows kill/success stats. Seperate seasons then ? A reduction in equipment (like ban releases and >65% letoff) ? I dunno ... that situation has never happened to my knowledge, has it ?

Its seems so foolish to suggest banning a weapon that is really an inferior weapon in the field compared to a compound.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:02 PM

I have read most of this stuff and it seems to be going in a circle. However I will add my 2 cents which is worth about 2 cents.

I shoot a compund mostly but have just gotten into recurve shooting. I was amazed at the speed from my recurve. Within a few shots I was stacking them pretty close at 20 yards. I moved back to 30 and was still hitting pretty well. What I like about the recurve is that it is much like throwing rocks or a ball. I have played baseball most of my life and you don't want me throwing a ball at you because I will hit you. If I can get as good at shooting my recurve as my throwing I will be very good at it. Just like in baseball there are guys who can throw strikes and there are pitchers who can hit their spots in the strikezone everytime no matter what the situation. In archery there are guys who can hit in the killzone and then there are guys who can hit their spot in the killzone. Pin point accuracy is not alway neccesary, but when it is needed it is nice to have.

I don't think it matters what your choice of weapon is. I won't go there. But just like anything else perfect practice makes perfect. I practice year round and I am confident when I release my arrow I will hit exactly where I want it to. I try to think of any situation that could happen while hunting. I shoot unknown distances, though angles and body positions, elevations weather conditions, anything. It is hard to do all of that in just a few outings at the range. I made a 46 yard kill shot on a doe this past season in high wind and rain. I hit a perfect 1/4 away shot. I saw the arrow hit right where my pin was sitting. The arrow entered right in front of the last rib and came out the opposite shoulder. Should I have taken that shot? Probably not but I knew I was going to make it because I had done it countless times before. I had no doubt about it. I wasn't just flinging an arrow at a deer hoping to hit it.

I try to stay within my ability, and my ability is only limited by how much I practice.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wthunter - I am NOT a natural, in fact I'm crossdominant in my vision which further creates problems. Some people are though - read the latest TBM article on that one guy thats won nationals year after year with little to no proactice. he says he's got a God given talent and thats how he shoots so well.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:30 PM

Now we're getting somewhere!! So what your are saying is...some people need to practice more than others...right?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need to forward that article to Arthur.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some people need to shoot a crossbow
Old 04-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some people need to shoot a crossbow
LOL