Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary? >

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Old 04-22-2004, 12:53 PM

Default RE: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

LOL Rack, give'm hell!!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:54 PM

but then you'd be making the case that equipment doesn't make the hunter, the hunter makes the hunter - correct
I guess I am making the case that MANY things can make a hunter.

For some its the equipement and their joy and proficiency in using it.
For some its their HUNTING desire/knowledge and drive.
For some its just great time in the woods.
For some its the all mighty trophy.
For some its meat on the table...........etc. etc.

To say you do one very well, and look down on those that don't do what you do well, is when there is a problem.

Its a long list...........odds are someone is doing something better than you or me.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll say it again ... and please understand this is true .... I do not care what you choose to bowhunt with, I really don't,
what kind of bow does he shoot ?
Thought you didn't care what people used?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rack-attack

Can a really good hunter but a very poor shot kill deer consistantly ? Can a really good shot but piss poor hunter kill deer consitantly ? Can a guy who shoots a Bowtech be consider anything but a poacher ?

Bowtech .... a cross between a crossbow and the space shuttle is what it looks like to me. Does that thing have finger pinch ? How does it shoot when you're on your belly with it canted 45 degree ?

rybohunter - He shoots a bow very well it sounds like that requires very little practice - and its a compound. Fancy that huh ?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:15 PM

I think we are all elitists in our own little way. Its human nature.

Trads look down on compounds
Compounds look down on guns
Trophy hunters look down on meat hunters
Still hunters look down on dog hunters
Stand hunters look down on ground hunters, literally

The great thing about hunting is that it can be all things to everyone!! Thats is awesome if you think about it!!!

You can widdle your own bow out of wood and spend 8 hrs a day shooting or you can pick up your bow the day before the season and hit the woods. You can get all worked up over tuning, grouping, FOC, spine, paralax, etc, etc, or you can just be a good ole boy who borrowed his buddies bow and taught himself how to hit a paper plate at 20yds and take off to the woods. You can get obsessed with scentlock, contain, xscent, scent blocker, tinks, buckfever, doe pee, or you can get up, eat bacon, smoke a ciggarette and head to your stand.

The great thing about it, it gives you exactly what you are looking for. Enjoy it.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:19 PM

Does that thing have finger pinch ?
Why in the world would you hold the string with your fingers....

How does it shoot when you're on your belly with it canted 45 degree
If I am ever on my belly with my bow.........it means I just fell 20 ft[:-]
Old 04-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

Question for you archers that shoot all year and then look down on my two week prep for season: Do you put as much time into scouting and stand placement? Is being an "archer" the majority of the hunt? More important than actually, "hunting"?
No ! But is scouting and stand placement the only thing that is important and your equipment and practice just a formality ?
No, never said it was the only important thing. The important part of shooting a compound well has been honed over 24 years of shooting and hunting. I will spend the majority of my off season and even in-season time scouting and setting up stands and monitoring wind and barometric pressure, and more scouting. I get nuts about that stuff. I love it.

Bob.....if you have made poor shots before........can you say for 100 % that extra practice wouldn't have made a difference on any of them ?
I've never made a badshot. Oh wait, I guess I have once or twice. Nothing is 100% in this sport - there are too many variables. I can say for absolute certainty though that any botched shot I've made on a deer was not due to the fact that I couldn't shoot the bow well. As I've stated before - there are so many things that can and will go wrong at the moment of release - everything from squirrels jumping out of logs to deer jumping the string to twigs we didn't see. Start a thread on "Why shots go wrong" and you'll hear pages of reasons. If I blow a shot from nothing other than just blowing the shot, and sure it'll happen, it's because I lost concentration and focus for whatever reason. Practice will not give you the insurance a shot will be 100% correct every time you shoot at a live deer. It'll help, but not eliminate all possibilities of something going wrong.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:22 PM

g
Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why in the world would you hold the string with your fingers....
Your'e right, God forbid we'd use our fingers to draw a bow back - shudder the though huh ? You know, way back when people use to use wood arrows and shoot off the shelf ? Amazing, aint it !
Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jerry/Pa
So is poor preparation bad ethics?(pulling out your bow a week before the season) Personally I'd say "without a doubt". It's not golf or baseball it's killing live game. I'm not saying your not a good hunter. I'm just saying you might try a crossbow or rifle till you find the time to make the necessary preparations to bowhunt. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone but after reading some of the messages in this thread I thought it had to be said. Jerry
Key word phrase: "read some of the messages". Obviously you didn't read them all. Let me explain again for those of you who don't want to read all five pages of this thread. I can pull out my bow after sitting for months, shoot 6" groups while standing on my head and blindfolded. Within 20-30 arrows, I start splitting knocks. I shoot throughout the season to stay in "tune". One arrow at a time. I never come down from a stand without throwing at least one arrow. Is splitting an apple at 30 yards throughout the season with shooting one or two arrows a day ethical enough for you? Get a grip, dude.

Quick Reply: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.