Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Martin Firecat

Old 04-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Martin Firecat

I have a short question, I have an old Martin M44 Firecat, I think it is about 10 years old. It could use a new string, and probably a good check up, but it is still a very nice bow. I want to try and sell it but I have no clue as to what its worth, anyone have any idea. JUst thought I would see if anyone had any idea. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:58 PM

Default RE: Martin Firecat

$100.00 Max...
Old 04-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

It'd probably cost you more to fix it up - string, cables, clean and lube - than you could get for it. Very nice bows and super accurate, but not worth much money any more. Fix it up, shoot it and enjoy it. I'd stick with moderate weight arrows on those old wood laminated limbs though. 7-8 grains per pound is about as light as I'd recommend.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

The firecat, was one of the best bows of it's time.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have on old FireCat that I have been hunting with for the past 4 years. Take it to a Martin dealer have him check the cables {I didn't have to have the cables replaced}, Check the string { mine cost about $ 7.00 because it was an old tear drop string.} and keep it for a back up.

That wass one of the great bows of its time. I was shooting 236 FPS with 350 grain arrows.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not personally owned a Firecat, but a few friends had them and also the Cougar Speed Flite. Very nice bows, good performance for the time, and still very usable today.

I have an older bow myself - a Darton Viper. I have tried to sell it a few times on Ebay. One time, I set a $50 opening bid, and didn't get a single bid. A few weeks later, I shot it against a nearly new Mathews Q2 XL that I had picked up, and it was clearly more accurate in my hands!
Older compounds just aren't worth much money to most of your buyers. I would agree that your best choice is to fix the bow up to shoot it and keep it for yourself, or maybe give it to a friend or family member that you would like to have shoot with you. That fine older bow will still get the job done quite nicely. As Arthur said, you should probably stick to medium to heavy weight arrows due the the limb construction and teardrop string setup. Good luck with the bow.