Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Martin Firecat?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Martin Firecat?

What's the word on Martin's newest offering the Firecat? Is it in the same league as the so-called top bows i.e. Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech etc.?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Martin Firecat?

I've had mine for over a year and would say, enphatically, YES, but with a lower price tag. A Mathews, Hoyt,or Bowtech shooter might argue the point, but I'd suggest you shoot one for yourself and draw your own conclusions.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is their strong point that makes them so good?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its a nice bow! I really liked the one I shot and it's a very good value. Like most Martins, you will not have the "refinement" in the fit & finish of the top end stuff from other manufacturers- Limbs are sanded a little sloppy, cams may have some machining marks/scratching (andodize is a little lower quality) dip coats are a little thin/inside of limb forks sometimes are not fully dipped, etc. That kind of thing. they also tend to have a bit more noise/vibe on average. Much better than they were a few years ago though- I had Cougar III and a RazyrX SE about 5-6 years ago that were like shooting cannons. The newer Martins are much better thanks to the new limb pockets systems, STS, better string/cables, etc.

Bottom line- they are put together solidly ,shoot well and have arguably the best Customer Service in the industry.

Some people are really into the aesthetics or want the absolute quietest, lowest vibe bows there are- some people don't mind the trade-offs and want to save a couple hundred dollars. Nothing wrong with either line of thinking- it's YOUR money. Best thing to do is shoot everything you are interested in and make your choice.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Its a nice bow! I really liked the one I shot and it's a very good value. Like most Martins, you will not have the "refinement" in the fit & finish of the top end stuff from other manufacturers- Limbs are sanded a little sloppy, cams may have some machining marks/scratching (andodize is a little lower quality) dip coats are a little thin/inside of limb forks sometimes are not fully dipped, etc. That kind of thing. they also tend to have a bit more noise/vibe on average. Much better than they were a few years ago though- I had Cougar III and a RazyrX SE about 5-6 years ago that were like shooting cannons. The newer Martins are much better thanks to the new limb pockets systems, STS, better string/cables, etc.

Bottom line- they are put together solidly ,shoot well and have arguably the best Customer Service in the industry.

Some people are really into the aesthetics or want the absolute quietest, lowest vibe bows there are- some people don't mind the trade-offs and want to save a couple hundred dollars. Nothing wrong with either line of thinking- it's YOUR money. Best thing to do is shoot everything you are interested in and make your choice.
Jeff after shooting Martin bows several years I pretty much agree with most of what you have to say, but I was not impressed with customer service.

It was actually why I looked for another brand. Hopefully they have improved in that area.

Dan
Old 04-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Jeff after shooting Martin bows several years I pretty much agree with most of what you have to say, but I was not impressed with customer service.

It was actually why I looked for another brand. Hopefully they have improved in that area.

Dan
Yeah I don't think anyone can claim "perfect" CS (cannot make all customers happy all of the time,) but in general Martin is at the top- Did you have a particular circumstance with them Dan? or just a general thing?

I had an issue with my RazyrX I mentioned above and they sent parts to rebuild the entire bow with different cams, limbs, axles/hardware, and correct string/cables for no charge whatsoever- Just because I was really unhappy with the bow's cam system/how it was shooting for me.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, I had a particular issue with one bow. The same thing happened twice to my bow in less than a year, and also happen to my friends (same model)

Problems I don't mind but when the fix is given the Ol Southern Gentlemen Engineering I have a problem with that. It's all water under the bridge now, and in hind sight was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Dan
Old 04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan
Yeah I don't think anyone can claim "perfect" CS (cannot make all customers happy all of the time,) but in general Martin is at the top- Did you have a particular circumstance with them Dan? or just a general thing?

I had an issue with my RazyrX I mentioned above and they sent parts to rebuild the entire bow with different cams, limbs, axles/hardware, and correct string/cables for no charge whatsoever- Just because I was really unhappy with the bow's cam system/how it was shooting for me.
As a purvayor of archery equipment myself.... I can say with right much experience, that Parker Bows customer service is as near to perfect as any company in the bow industry. I'd give a solid, no contest second to Mathews. I've never had to deal much with Martin, but I've got a customer whom we special ordered a Firecat for.... and it has a lot of issues... some are customer induced.... most actually.... the bow isn't even a week old.... I guess we'll see if they go the extra mile for him or not.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an 08 Cheetah as a backup bow and last summer it flew off the back of my atv (in soft bow case) and hit the hard road. The corner of the top limb pocket and limb was damaged. I called Martin and they told me to go to a Martin dealer and they would send new top and bottom limbs and limb pockets-NO CHARGE! I only paid the dealer for the labor and service. To me, this was customer service beyond what I expected!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Geronimo

I have an 08 Cheetah as a backup bow and last summer it flew off the back of my atv (in soft bow case) and hit the hard road. The corner of the top limb pocket and limb was damaged. I called Martin and they told me to go to a Martin dealer and they would send new top and bottom limbs and limb pockets-NO CHARGE! I only paid the dealer for the labor and service. To me, this was customer service beyond what I expected!
And rightfully So!!

I could tell you several instances of bows being fixed under warranty by different companies that IMO was above and beyond what was expected.

Bottom limb hitting deck rail on release, Truck door slammed on limb, truck ran over bow, limb melted in front of a kerosene salamander, etc., etc. by the way these were not my bows.

Dan