Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What rest to use? >

What rest to use?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What rest to use?

Old 04-03-2004, 10:51 PM

Default What rest to use?

I have been shooting a new recurve for a long while going "Traditional". I went back to shooting my Matthews LX with a mechanical release and everything about it feels weird. I have become very proficient using my fingers and wonder what rest to use on my LX so I can dump the release. I currently have a "Whisker Bisquit" on my set up but don't like the damage it does to my fletchings and want to change. What rest do you guys suggest I change to so to allow me to use my fingers as a release?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:25 AM

Default RE: What rest to use?

Correct me if I'm rong but doesn't the LX have a 35 inch Axle to axle length? This might not be the best bow to shoot with fingers because the angle of the string is going to pinch your fingers and you won't be able to get a smooth release with fingers. It's best to have a 40 inch bow or better for finger shooting.

You are not going to get as good of acuracy with fingers as you would with release because of the string rolling a little bit sideways off your fingers so I would suggest using helical feathers on a rubber shelf style arrow rest. Or any drop away rest will work.

You gonna shoot with sights or instinctive? I was gonna say that if you are going to shoot instinctive, you might want to use heavy arrows with helical feathers.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

NAP quick tune 750

Goledn key has several good finger type rests. Star hunter, star hunter spring hunter, rising star, rising star hunter, star hunter special. They also have the coiled spring type of rests.

Cavalier archery has a number of good rests as well but are a bit more expensive.

I'd look at GKF's rests. They are usually pretty inexpensive and solidly built. They also stand 100% behind all of their products they sell. Any time I have ever had a problem with something of theirs, no matter how minor, all I had to do was call or email them and it was taken care of ASAP. Super company.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:14 AM

Nic's advice regarding a compound's ATA being crucial for using fingers is correct. Depending on your draw length and the type eccentrics of the bow, you might find that you will have problems trying to finger shoot an ATA under 43".
Old 04-04-2004, 08:28 AM

Yes, I do feel more "pinch" than I do when I shoot my 64" recurve, that's for sure. However, here are the results from the groups I'm getting:

5 Shots @ 15 Yards Indoors
(avg. of 5 groups each)
[ul][*] 1.050" using Mechanical Release[*] 1.230" using Fingers
[/ul]
(untuned, in progress though!)

As you see the groups opened up a bit. I'm not sure what I'll do as of yet. I just happen to have a spare NAP Quicktune 750, I'll try it today and see how that does. I will be using sights though, so after adjusting my peep I have noticed that I had to lower my sight housing quite a bit to make things feel the same as when I shoot my recurve though!

By the way, here is my setup:

Matthews LX
58lbs, 29"
Gold Tip Carbon Arrows, 100gr field tips
Original Whisker Biscuit QS
TruGlo Glo-Brite Sight (3 pin)
Fletcher Tru-Peep Super Hunter
Old 04-04-2004, 08:37 AM

stay with the biscuit....
Old 04-04-2004, 10:18 PM

i would stick with the release, the lx is def too short of a bow for the finger shooter, as far as what rest to use, your guess is as good as mine...good luck