Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is a good score on a ASA 3-D course ? >

What is a good score on a ASA 3-D course ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is a good score on a ASA 3-D course ?

Old 03-28-2004, 04:58 PM

Default What is a good score on a ASA 3-D course ?

With the 12 ring giving you a possible score of 360 on a 30 target course.................what is a good score shooting from the farthest stakes on an average course ?
Old 03-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is a good score on a ASA 3-D course ?

It is hard o say but most of the major pro-ams will have MANY shooters over 400 on a 40 target course.Too many variables to say what a good score is but you will need to shoot up if you plan on placing.Up is anything over the 10 average per target.

Go to www.asaarchery.com and check out the scores.

With the format of the asa,the yardage usally isn't as tough as an IBO event but the Rinehart targets are smaller and have really small 12 rings.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

A good score would be coming home with all the arrows you started with.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:40 AM

Thanks guys !! No.......not quitting my day job soon.......placing is not what I'm after.........just practice !

Basically wondering if 280's or 290's are considered good scores shooting from the long stakes or if you have to break 300 ?
Old 03-29-2004, 05:52 AM

280's ide have to say competitive,but that wouldnt hold up,with a lot of shooters.290's Ide say that would put you in the Top 30%. Seen many shoot over 300 on a regular basis.Practice and go for it,what do you have to lose.Good Luck!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I cannot speak for ASA shoots as I have never been to one however, if you went with a typical 30 target-10 as a highest on any target then a 280-290 score would probably be very competitive. If you went to a 30 target-12 as the highest on any target then a 280-290 score will not be that competitive. I would shoot for something at least in the 320s.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:08 AM

PA,
ASA targets are about the same as IBO ! The 10 ring is the same size and general location........but there is a little 12 ring inside the 10 ring about the size of a golf ball ! It is usually positioned very low and to one side of the 10 ring ! If your shooting for it......it's very easy to barely miss and end up with an 8 hit !

So IMO shooting a 280 or 290 is the same on an ASA as an IBO shoot.......but the guys shooting for the 12's and hitting them is just incredible ! Shooting at a golf ball at 45-50 yrds is too much for me..........I'll be happy in the 270-290 range with my hunting rig !
Just curious what other folks are happy shooting ??
Old 03-29-2004, 07:20 AM

I shoot a lot of ASA and you have to be able to shoot at least even. 280 to 290 on a 300 range won't get you into placing around here. At the pro Ams all the classes are at least 10 up or more, well at lot more, for most of the classes.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:57 AM

I just shot a 300 even on a 30 round asa course this weekend. I would have shot up had my string loop not snapped on a 23 yard gimme shot. Ended up with a fat goose egg and missed out on first place by one point. 301 took the first place money. But I won't complain too much about second. It's the dangdest thing too...the string itself didn't break, but the melt on the end literally popped off. I had it tied back on in 30 seconds and one of the guys in my group had a lighter and I drilled a 12 on the next target. Funny thing is, everyone was saying how they would have been gun shy so to speak of shooting a bow after the loop snapped, but I have shot over 20,000 arrows with a loop and that was the first time I ever had one fail. In that time period the limbs have failed on me more than anything else.

All I know is, if I was shooting an IBO course I would have still shot up. With ASA I only aim for the 10 ring...hitting the 12 is just a luck thing for me...and I was drilling the center of the 10 ring everytime. This is with my hunting rig...concept99 bow, spot hogg real deal sight, 8 inch NAP shockblocker stabilizer, and a GKF infiniti arrow rest, and CXL 250 selects with 75 grain screw in points.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

At our local club shoots, if you do not shoot up you do not have a chance to place. our clubs shoot 20 targets, and I was 1 down yesterday. 212, 211, and 210 were first, second and third.

One of our members shot a 431 in Kinder at the last ASA pro am and won super seniors.

Having said that, even or 10 down is typically a pretty good shoot. I have seen some courses where 20 down was goo shooting, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Quick Reply: What is a good score on a ASA 3-D course ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.