Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Favorite Scents and Lures??? >

Favorite Scents and Lures???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite Scents and Lures???

Old 03-15-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Favorite Scents and Lures???

I am in the market for next Fall and was wondering what some of the favorites are among the most Knowledgable and Avid hunters in the world(did that Work??!!??).

I am fond of my Earth wafers and dryer sheets. Carbon Blast for clothes and H.S. soap, but was wondering what some of your favorites to use might be.

Also Lures... I don't use them, but would like to try. Other than grunts and bleats, which I will always use, I would like to get into SCENT Lures.

What would be the most affective you have used in that class??

Thanks and I am sure it will be interesting...
Old 03-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Scents and Lures???

Epuller,

Personally, I like buckfever synthetic products. These products include, "Vanishing hunter" (it works so well) which killes scent at the molecular level. Pre and Post rut urine for the right times of the year. It's synthetic and never breaks down like any real protein based urine is going to do. I have never witnessed buckfever synthetics spooking a deer. Of course application is key as well as a strict scent free approach coupled with playing the wind. But when the wind changes on me..I never worry.... I only use the scents in accordance to the time of year I feel they play an intregral role.

I hear lots of folks slam Scent lok technology on here, but I let em slam. I personally wouldn't go in the woods to scout a big buck let alone hunt him without following my full scent free approach coupled with my scent lok suit. I usually wear the liner and a lot of times wear two liners if its not to hot out.

I have killed several bucks an see a ton more since I started fanatically taking care of my scent and using buckfever synthetics. www.hawgslimited.com give a look

Shed

Old 03-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Shed on this one. I've used BF synthetics the past two season and have nothing but positive results. It also works really well when making mock scrapes.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Titleist,

Just curious if you have had any success with buckfevers forehead gland scents, I have had really good response in early season to"licking branches" with the buckfever forehead gland scent...........and mock rubs as well in the month of Sept. I often make mock rubs or mock licking branches to mark my yardages and to stop a passing buck on his feeding routes in early season. I hit these licking branches with the forehead gland scent year around. The buck below was my first "buckfever" mock scrape buck in 98.

Shed

Old 03-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the forehead gland scent on licking branches over all of my mock scrapes but I've never used them on rubs. I've never made any mock rubs but I'm thinking about trying. How do you go about making them? Just use a knife blade? I've never witnessed a deer visiting any of my scrapes but I know they've been there by the sign they leave. This year I plan on putting my stealth cam near by in hopes of catching something working one of them.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:19 PM

I have heard some about the BF products but no real reviews.

Sounds like it is worth looking into.

Maybe even investing in. From your pics, it does look like there are real results...
Old 03-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Titleist,

Sorry, I wasn't that clear. I set up licking branches year around. All of these have scrapes below them, but I dont doctor the scrapes as much till late August. I do though doctor up the licking branches everytime I visit the area, whether it be in January or June. I always hit the licking branches with a bit of forehead gland scent. In my area I have watched bucks work these licking branches in the summer time. They don't mess with the scrape as much but they sure work those branches.

As for mock rubs, I take a hatchet with me and right before the bucks start shedding their velvet I make rubs with my hatchet by scraping off the bark then spraying the rub with Buckfever forehead gland scent. I just try to mimic an average rub for my area. I make sure not to touch this with my bare hands. I am usually in my full scent lok suit and am wearing rubber gloves and boots..... I dont want any human scent associated in that rub. I make my rubs at distances of 10-20-30 and even 40 yards if needed from my stand site...this way I have a visual signpost for the bucks and a sign for me judge my yardages very closely. This past year I had my archery buck come into my mock rub. His head was down at full trot...and his velvet had just been shed (some was still hanging) it was pretty cool to see this behavior in early season. He stopped and I got my shot. Of course I had set up right in his main travel path from his bed to feed. I doubt any of this would have worked without the summer survelance I had put in....watching him from afar. The forehead gland also serves as a nice scent on the ground level... especially if the wind is changing....I often mist the air with forehead gland scent in early season too....from my stands.. especially when I am hunting near bedding areas and the wind changes on me....as it often does in this mountainous country... fickle thermals and swirling winds...

I have had bucks come by these rubs, stop and check them out, even in the velvet. I even had a cow elk stop and smell one one time. She was just curious I guess, and it didnt spook her a bit.

Shed
Old 03-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna give your setup a try this season. Have you ever had problems with the forehead gland scent clogging up? I had a bottle last do it. I tried to clean out the nozzle as best as I could but couldn't get it to work. Do you only put the rubs as yardage markers or do you create rub lines as well?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:35 PM

I've had great success with the Hot Trails scent candles 4 to a pack and about 4 hours use out of each one. IMO scents and such are just a curiosity thing to get their attention.I have never had any luck with the Tink's scents but a lot of people on the site like the CODE BLUE products. I am definitely going to put them in my pack this year.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Titleist,

Yes I have had them clog up. Good ?. I carry my forehead gland scent in a different spray bottle. One with a larger spray opening and one that can broadcast a ways. I get the buckfever by the gallon, so I just fill the spray bottle.

Mock rubs, mostly just to surprise the buck I am set up on. Opening day to early archery and Im hunting close to his bed to catch him on his exit to his feed. And yes...to have a nice yardage marker... of course I need the right trees to be in the area...or sometimes I just set up 1 or two rubs.. in his path.... GOOD LUCK

Shed

Quick Reply: Favorite Scents and Lures???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.