Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods? >

what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

Old 03-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

2 stories comes to mind...

1. after an unsuccessful evening bowhunt, i climbed out of my stand(quietly). when my foot hit the ground from the last screw in step- i went to reach for my bow that i just lowered and there was a baby racoon smelling it about 3 feet from me. scared the crap out of me as we both went up trees looking at each other from around 10 feet.

2. i was on a new piece of land and had to go #2. well, i get my pants down lean up against a nice tree. low and behold a guy on a horse comes from behind down the horse trail i was sh!itting on and looks directly at me as the turd hit the leaves. talk about perfect timing. he apologized and told me he didnt know that deer season was in. this was the second week of november. but alas, good news, i did remember to bring tp.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:52 AM

Never turkey hunted much when I was younger. Hooked up with some folks who did during my freshman year at Penn State. I broke up a small flock the night before and me and several friends and one of thier friends set up the next morning to see if the flock was getting back together. They sat and called for themselves. I sat where I broke them up hoping they would regroup at first light as it was just getting dark when I broke them up. We'll I'm sitting for a time and I hear this noise. A turkey sails in to my right about 50 yards out. I don't move a muscle and the turkey slowely moves my way but to my extreme right. I'll just wait until he's close and swing on him so when he takes off he'll still be in range. He's just about in range when I hear this commotion. My friend's friend comes running and screaming up through the woods in my direction. Turkey flys away. He walks back and sits down. We had set up in the dark so we were probably closer to each other than we thought, but still a good distance away. About a half hour later here comes another Turkey up towards me. This one is making whistles and putts trying to find it's friends. I'm on this one- come closer and your mine... here comes my friends friend again up running through the woods hooting and hollaring. The turkey flushes and he goes and sits down. Now I'm really scratching my head, but since I don't know him and don't know much about turkey hunting I'm just sitting there, more confused than agravated. We all meet about 9:30 because some of us have class and rehash the morning. When it came his turn he said, "I had all my shells in my coverall pockets and when I turned my unzipped and turned my coveralls down to take a leak at the truck all the shells fell out so when I got to my stand I didn't have any shells. Then I saw a turkey and got so frustrated I chased it away. A half hour later another bird came and I chased that one away." When they asked me how I did I told them simply I saw two turkeys working thier way into range, but they both got chased away.!!" Today he's a chief of police!! A pretty good egg as well which makes it easier to laugh at. Man we laugh and howl at when this comes up even today.
He borrowed a gun that morning and shot a turkey. I went back to the same area three days later and called a fall bird into range and officially began my turkey hunting career, but earlier that week i thought I was getting some kind of wierd turkey hunters initiation. Enjoy, Juniorpc.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

if these don't put a small smile on your face, nothing will.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-03-2004, 12:40 PM

this one isn't actually my story it's my dad's but it is the best I could think of with the pressure of all the good stories and it is a packing out story. This is when my dad was a little younger, like in his 20's. He and a few of his buddies had gotten a cow elk early in the day and they were getting ready to pack it out and they all had packboards. They were just ready to leave when a guy named mike stood up and didn't compensate for how heavy the elk quarter was in relation to how steep the hill is. He stood up and over backwards he went. He hit my uncle knocking him over. Now you've got two guys with quarters of elk on them and they're all tangled up with their arms and legs kicking like turtles on their backs. Then the other two are laughing so hard that they have to sit down and the two down were laughing so hard they can't get back up. They still to this day over 20 years later will laugh till they're red in the face at that story.

Here's one that I look back at and laugh. I don't think it's too funny but my wife loves it so here goes. A buddy and I are hiking all around a certain area I hunt. We started out walking out to a certain ridgetop, the main ridgetop in the area, walk down it a ways, walk back up and up past where the truck was parked, then off on the sidehill then back up the ridgetop dow almost to the truck but decide to walk around the other side of the mountain. We get to the end of the roadand there is no sign of anything being there so start talking. We're watching cars on the freeway and having a good ole time when we hear a crack behind us. We both turn around for a second and look around and don't see anything. We turn around and go about our having a good time when I hear a snap behind me again. I turn around to see a bick buck right behind us. This buck was like 30 feet from us. We had rifles so of course we got that one, he really had nowhere to go. This buck was old. He had like eight teeth in his whole mouth and was completely grey. He was a 5x5 with a little point before the brow that I don't count but my freind does. My wife thinks it is funny because we were just sitting there talking when this smart old deer somehow runs right into us. We only had to drag him like 100 yards or so to the road the truck was on.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Here's the story of my first deer, when I was 18.

I walked up on this little yearling whitetail at 25 yards, and he stood there looking at me. I fired, and missed. He never moved. So I bolted in round #2, fired again, missed again. The buck still never moves. I bolt in round #3 and calmly (ha ha) break his neck. That sounds better, but I was aiming behind his shoulder.

Anyhow, the fun was only beginning. As I proudly approached my first deer, after five years of failure, I saw he was lying in a thick patch of brush. In order to gut him out I'd just need to grab a protruding hind leg and tug him out into the open. When I touched his hind leg, it triggered a nerve and the hind leg lashed out in a vicious kick. The kick caught me perfectly flush in a spot no man wants to get kicked in! Do I need to elaborate further?

Well, now I'm literally rolling around on the ground in agony beside my dead deer. A single thought penetrated the pain - Dear God Please do not let another hunter happen along right now! The pain subsided eventually, replaced by a desire for vengeance. So I stood up and fired a coup de grace shot into the buck's head.

At that I didn't get the last laugh, because when we tried to do the skullcap mount we found my revenge shot had absolutely shattered the skull.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:57 PM

These aren't really hunting stories persay, but they are outdoors stories.

A couple of week ago, this local idiot about 16 years of age was snowmobiling and hit a deer. It didn't really hurt him or the sled, so he turned around to have a look at the deer. The deer had run out into a huge field. Then something inside him triggered a chase. Now this idiot is chasing a deer across an open field in about 2 feet of snow. When he catches up to the deer, he bails off the sled and tackles the deer. Needless to say, the deer kicked the crap out of him. Think he learned his lesson.

Last year I was sitting on the riverbank eating sunflower seeds behind my buddy's house. It was after dark, and was really peaceful untill I heard this hissing sound. I jerk my head over in time to see this opossum charging at me, hissing. I paniced and dove for a folding chair leaning against the house. I swung that chair like I was going for a hole-in-one on a par 5. That opossum ended up floating down the river. He tangled with the wrong guy
Old 03-03-2004, 04:24 PM

This past fall I was setup along a select cut next to a thick patch of woods that is a bedding area. The rut was just starting to kick into gear and I thought a might catch a buck running the edge of the select cut scent checking does or coming from the bedding area. I set up my two-dimensional doe decoy so that a buck coming out of the woods or walking along the woods would be able to see it. Sure enough a decent 6 point buck comes walking across the middle of the select cut towards my decoy. He couldn't see it because he was walking at it head on. I could see that his path was going to take him within 5 yards of the decoy before he would be able to see it. He was walking with his head down and he could have reached out and licked it when he finally saw the "deer" that appeared out of no where. He jumped up about six feet in the air landed and ran back about 30 yards the exact direction where he came from. Now he looked back and could no longer see the "deer". He stomped his foot about 10 times then took off running across the select cut blowing the whole time. Needless to say, I didn't see again at that location. Looks like it might be time to get a 3-dimensional decoy.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Banned

I was using a climbing stick and heading up the tree when one of those noisy little red squirrels in upper Wisconsin ran down the tree, then between my shirt and jacket down my back and down my pant leg and continued down the tree. Talk about almost soiling.

Peak

Live and Learn

Quick Reply: what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.