Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods? >

what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

Old 03-06-2004, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

My uncle found my younger cousin sleeping in his treestand so he came and got me. We snuck quietly to the base of his tree while he continued to saw logs. We considered our options of how to best exploit this rare opportunity. We decided that my uncle would fire off a round from his 300 Winmag. I stood at the ready just behind and left to get the best view. BLAM! And he barely moved. He woke up like you'd just lightly tapped him on the shoulder and began scanning the woods like he should have been. Completely unaware of us. Unbelievable. So we sit down next to his tree and wait quietly, he still doesnt know we're there. After a while his gun comes down on a string and we position ourselves around the tree out of sight. He climbs down and when he's about three steps from the bottom of the tree we spring out screaming like banshees at which point he screams like a woman and falls the last 6 feet out of the tree.

We still laugh until we're red faced and teary eye'd when we talk about this.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

I was aiming at a doe and I kind-of jerked when I shot and my arrow hit the doe in the face. She is still alive as far as I know
Old 03-06-2004, 10:27 AM

Last year I was sitting on the riverbank eating sunflower seeds behind my buddy's house. It was after dark, and was really peaceful untill I heard this hissing sound. I jerk my head over in time to see this opossum charging at me, hissing. I paniced and dove for a folding chair leaning against the house. I swung that chair like I was going for a hole-in-one on a par 5. That opossum ended up floating down the river. He tangled with the wrong guy
so you slayed a possum with a folding chair? All Hail Techy, All Hail Techy
Old 03-06-2004, 10:31 AM

"RE: what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods? "

I was aiming at a doe and I kind-of jerked when I shot and my arrow hit the doe in the face. She is still alive as far as I know
thats funny...how?
Old 03-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think all of them revolve around my buddy Frank?.........and I have to live near him so We'll just leave it at that.

Well maybe a preview.......fox hunting, trying to film him shooting a deer with a bow.....etc.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:51 PM

i truly expected to hear more about davidmil.......
Old 03-06-2004, 08:55 PM

Opening day 2002 i had been in my treestand for almost an hour there were 2 does about 30 yards away from my tree and the bottom platform on my climbing stand fell all the way to the bottom of the tree. the 2 does were being chased by a buck that i didn't see intil it saw me and it would have been my biggest to date. they ran when my stand fell so i lowerd my gun and my backpack and shimmied down the tree and when i got to the bottom looking up at the top part of my stand in the tree i realized i didn't have a way to get it down i tried to shimmie back up but i couldn't i had to get my friends stand and climb back up the tree to get it down. now i have the 2 pieces of the stand tied together and i have tested it to make sure that wont happen again
Old 03-06-2004, 09:32 PM

My son and I were bow hunting elk last season and a good friend of mine went along with us. Are buddy went one way and me and my son went the other way. We hunted all morning and was headed back on this old logging road. We heeard some thrashing around below us and walked over to the edge of the logging road. There was this jungle of really tall grasslike brush, about 7' tall. And you could tell exactly where some type of animal was walking around in it, it would move one way and then another direction. Me and my boy thought it might be a bear or something, so we thought we would try to scare it off. We picked up some rocks and started launching them down where the tall brush was moving back and forth. It just kept going one way and then back the other way. I told my boy that it was'nt a bear because it would of smelled us by now, I said its probably just a big old range cow trying to get out of that jungle. We got back to our truck and are buddy was already back and he said he was plain worn out as he got into one he!! of a jungle and had a heck of a time trying to get out of that mess, me and my boy just looked at each other and did'nt say nothing...[]
Old 03-06-2004, 11:00 PM

'Dad, it moved! That bush over there, it moved!'

I can remember it just like it was yesterday. I was 9 years old and I was with my father on my very first hunting trip. It was early September and we had an archery tag to fill. We had just gotten back to camp and I was gathering up some wood so that we would be able to have a fire that evening.

There was a row of bushes about 6 feet high along a path leading into the woods and towards the river we were camped near. No sooner had I stepped onto this path and into the midst of the brush when something HUGE started tearing the heck out of the surrounding foliage.

Thinking it may be a bear (I was young, give me a break), I flew back to camp and hollered at dad to get his bow, there was a bear in camp! He quickly grabbed his gear and we hurried off in the direction of the Grizzly, well, he hurried, I sort of shuffled along not wanting to get too close, not wanting to be eaten and all.

I finally caught up with my dad and pointed out the 6 foot high bush that the overly large, rather angry, little-boy-eating Grizzly was camped in.

We began to make our approach. Step by step, shuffle by shuffle, dad with his bow raised and myself with my tail between my legs. Ten feet seperated us and the blood thirsty monster. 5 feet seperated us. We began to circle around the beast.

All of a sudden the bush exploded and I was off like I were being propelled by a rocket! I'm sure my feet didn't touch ground all the way back to the tent. My father came along in a few minutes with a grin from ear to ear.

'Did you get the bear, dad? Huh, huh, did you? Where is he? Is it dead? Can I see it? Where is it dad?'

And to my dismay my dad pulled from behind his back a bird about the size of a small chicken?

'What is THAT thing? It isn't a bear, that's for sure. Where's the bear?'

I just couldn't figure out where my would-be assasin was. Maybe he was still in the brush, or maybe he had gotten away.

'This, son, is a grouse. When you get too close to one they rush up into the air, making a lot of noise in the process. There is no bear.'

I haven't been able to live this one down yet. There will come a day, vengance will be mine.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

After taken a lethal shot on a hog we gave it some time to lay down. When we started the search we walked in to a dan where we discovered anoter hog laying down. Because there where lots af branches and twigs of it, it was kinda dark, but me and my friend where sure there was another hog laying down. The longer we looked at it, the more we see it actually move. We decided what to do. We could shoot it but two hogs would be a bit to much for the freezer. So we wanted to proceed safely without other hogs arround and started to yell to him. Hey ! HoHo ! Tssss ! You know how it will sounds like. The hog however didnt seems willing to leave. Lets start trowing sticks to him, my friend suggest. So, every piece of wood that was aivailable behind the trees (!) went to the hog. Still it didnt want to move. The #@!! with him, my friend said, i go get my bow and shoot him. That criter is waiting for us so we better take him out..... When he aimed his bow the hog under the branches didnt moved at all....It was like he was waiting for a arrow to take him out. My friend released and shot his arrow deadly accurate at the hog with a soft 'thonk' on the impact. The hog seemed to hit by a more than perfect arrow. He stayed down and again we walked backwards giving this one some time too.
After another 30 minutes we aproched very slowly and carefull to the dan. Again the Heys and Tssss-es to be sure he would not get up and chase us.

When we stood at the dan we saw how my friend killed a nice hog-sized black rotten piece of log. We looked at eachoter, both thinking.....did you really see it move in the first place?????

The first hog was laying 30 yards behind the dan. It was succesfull hunt but when we looked back with a couple beers we both thought the shot at log was the best we had ever seen!

Quick Reply: what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.