Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about broadheads. >

Question about broadheads.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about broadheads.

Old 02-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question about broadheads.

Hey I have kind of a newbie question about picking the right weight for my broadhead. How do you decide if you should be shooting 85, 100, 125......? I shoot 3 blade, 125 grain Muzzy's, but I have noticed that not to many of you shoot the 125 grain. I shoot a PSE Fireflite, set at 60 pounds, with a 28" draw, my arrows are cut at 28". Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about broadheads.

It depends on your arrow spine, draw weight, arrow length etc. I use the various arrow charts to see what arrows I should be shooting, and then pick the broadhead weights that fit. Most use heads in the 100 to 125 grn range. I suggest visiting my website
www.broadheadtests.com and read over the various tuning sections along with the mech vs fixed page. That should help you better understand the tunning process as well as help you pick the right head for your setup.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for you help 5 shot, I really thought that I would get more responces on this.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

You should use the broadhead that you feel comfortable shooting. Some people like the lighter broadheads since they're faster but you have a decreased front-of-center. If you are a good shot then you could pick a light one if that's what you like. I don't think it matters for deer if you're pulling 60 lbs in that bow. Some people like the heavier broadheads since you get more kinetic energy and an increased front of center. But, you sacrifice the speed. Personally, I use a 100 gr broadhead so it's kind of in the middle. For deer, I don't think it really matters but that's just me. If you used a 100 gr broadhead instead of your 125 you would notice a difference in speed and arrow drop but if you limit yourself to 25 yard and less shots the speed doesn't help you. It's my opinion that no matter what you use, you won't be able to shoot through much bone with a bow.