Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question...Blazer vs. Broadheads >

Question...Blazer vs. Broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question...Blazer vs. Broadheads

Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question...Blazer vs. Broadheads

Ok....Iunderstand the tuningtechbut am new to Blazers...

Last week I decided it was time to modernize. Bought a Black Ice 70# 27". Love the feel of it compared to my old Martin altitude....

Decided to try a half dozen Carbon Express Terminater Select 6570 with Blazer Vanes... Shoot the bow great but when I let a broadhead fly I get a slight wobble in my flight. I am a die hard helical feather guy but need change. I have validated this "wobble" with muzzy 100's, 125's, G5 Montecs, and thunderhead 100's. The arrow flies true with a rocket ultimate steel 75 but they always flylike a field tip dartin my past experience. Do I need to helical the blazers or what? I also am up to try a "new" broadhead but have no idea on what to try.....too many choices for the $$$$$..

Someone help me with some insight!!

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question...Blazer vs. Broadheads

I cant help but to think you might be getting a bit of fletching contact. I dont want to insult your inteligance but the blazers are like .6inches tall, they require a bit more clearance compared to conventional vanes or feathers.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I suppose....now I am going to have to look closer....may have overlooked that...
Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, have you spin tested the arrows and broadheads you are testing? I never had any problems with blazers being able to stabilizea broadhead tipped arrow, so Im guessing there is something going on.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now it looks to me after a close look that in no way can I shoot Blazers with total clearance.....what a crock. I am using a trophy taker shakey hunter. Can anyone tell me what is the height of the quick spins??? I dont really want to have to switch rests...or go back to feathers....
Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The quickspin speed hunters are the exact same as blazers. Are you shooting cock vane up? Most drop aways should give you enough clearance if your shooting cock vane up, cock vane down is another story.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Passthru cock left was what I was doin...

Allright this is really pissin me off!!! The blazers make contact by 0.050"!!!! Do any of the other new QS stand 0.550" or less???? Otherwise to get clearance I will have to switch rests and I really like my TT.....

BTW measurement is with moleskin on the shelf which eats up some clearance but that is a necessity to me IMHO....

Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have your rest set up so it falls flat on your shelf? If you can raise your rest up some and your nock point you can achieve clearance.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It could be rest timing, too. As mentioned, Blazers are taller so the rest needs all the time it can get to drop out of the way. You should adjust it so it raises up in the last 1 1/2 to 2" of the draw cycle. If it raises too early then it will be last dropping, leading to clearance issues.

Thus, the reasons I don't like things like Blazers. And you should have them fletched in a helical fashion or at least straight-offset about 4 degrees.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guy at work gave me some 4" QS to try they measured 0.550" figured they were worth a try.....put some on a right offset.....aligned for clearance and stepped out to the range.........ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Like a dart!!! Screwed in a muzzy 125 and still like a dart! Just for ****s and giggles I turned the nock to where I should have some contact and whalah same wiggle in flight as I did with the Blazers....So for this year I will be testing out the 4" Quikspins.

Quick Reply: Question...Blazer vs. Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.