Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 mechanical broadheads question... >

mechanical broadheads question...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

mechanical broadheads question...

Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default mechanical broadheads question...

I have some questions about broadheads....I plan on deerhunting with my new Horton Realtree 175# with Horton Carbon 20" bolts.

1. Are the mechanicals that don't use rubber bands or o rings better?
2. If I'm using the 100 grain fields tips for sighting/practice with the aliminum horton bolts, do I use 100g mechanicals with the carbon ones. I assume that would be right but not sure.
3. I seen the new Grim Reaper ones, Spitfires, and some other brands that offered the "no o ring" type.
4. I just found these Rage 100g 3 Blade SlipCam Mechanical Broadheads for $15.95 and 2 dollar shipping that comes with a free practice head. Should I buy them? They look good!! 1 1/2" cut
5.Will the "no o ring" type still open prematurally like the rubber band ones?

I also figure the sight will be have to be dialed in for the new bolts and mech. broadheads. common sense right?
I am new to this so haven't learned much yet.
I realize everyone will have different opinions on the BH's,but I need to know what's good yet affordable.
Thank you for any help.

chris
Old 07-27-2007, 10:54 PM

Default RE: mechanical broadheads question...

I used the Horton carbons on my super max 175and loved them. I also used the Tekan II's 100 grain that Horton also sells and they where right on with my carbons. I did paper test and never had any open up prematurely and they always did great, never broke or bent a blade with target practice. But I had a picky year last year and never drew any blood with them so hopefully I will get to do that this year!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:24 AM

I use the SpitFire 100's with carbon arrows and they have been great for me and my wife.we both shoot the Barnett Quad 400's.
the spitfire's have no O rings to worry about.
with the spitfire's we have taken several hogs and about 15 deer over the past few years.never had one not open; or open in flight.you can get pratice blades also.they fly just the same as pratice points.
they are really easy to resharpen , only had a couple blades bend.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buckhunter,

Here's a couple answers (my opinions, of course)

1) I don't think mechanicals that don't use bands or o-rings are necessarily better - thought one advantage of them (for example, Spitfires) is that you can adjust the tension of how quickly they will open for your bow speed.

2) If you're using 100grain field tips, use 100grain mechs and they will shoot exactly the same - no need to re-sight in your bow. But you need to practice with your carbon bolts if that is what you will be using for hunting - your aluminum and carbon bolts will NOT be hitting in the same place because they are different weights.

3) I don't know about those other types of mechs that you mentioned, but several of my friends use Spitfires and have been very happy with them.

4) If you're looking for a cheaper mechanical that still is going to work well, try Cabela's Lazer Strike 100grain mechanicals. They cost around $15 for a 3-pack. I've used them to take 2 deer - a doe & a buck. Both deer died within sight of my stand. I was very impressed with their performance - 1 1/2" cut made a huge hole, and both arrows penetrated completely through the deer. The only downside is they're not really re-usable - each time I've shot a deer with them, the head has been bent or damaged by the impact (though at that price, who cares?).

If you're shooting a fast bow (which yours is - I think close to 300 fps), they often recommend putting 2 rubber bands on the mechanical to keep it from opening prematurely.

When used properly, most mechanicals work really well. Just read the package and follow all the instructions to the letter. Also, I wouldn't recommend taking shots with a mechanicals if the deer is quartering away sharply - many designs won't open or perform properly if they enter at an extreme angle.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info! I was leaning towards the spitfires. From what I've read they seem to get good reviews. And since I won't have to resight my bow I hopefully might get by with one pack for the archery season. Should I at least shoot one into a target just to test it out? Or just put them on when I'm ready to hunt?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

spitfires work great for me in my horton legend xt 175. Deffinately shoot at the very least a few shots with them though before going hunting. I shootnothing butspitfires starting about a month before season. Theres no guarantee they will hit the same spot, better safe than sorry.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter46755

Thanks for the info! I was leaning towards the spitfires. From what I've read they seem to get good reviews. And since I won't have to resight my bow I hopefully might get by with one pack for the archery season. Should I at least shoot one into a target just to test it out? Or just put them on when I'm ready to hunt?
Buckhunter46755, the diference between theheads using bands or O-ringsand ones using clips is mostly maintance. Over time, rubber bands and O-rings will start to check or loose holding strength. You must checkthem on an ongoing basis. The clips (like on the spitfire) will have a life span of about 5 shots, but I personally will not use anything but new when hunting.

I would also never attempt to adjust the tension by adjusting the dimple,unlessit is for practice only. Again, only use new clips for hunting.

Remember that the spitfire sells practice blades (non opening) and they work great in the heads (hitting exactly same as blades). Also remember that not only should your practice tips be the same weight as the hunting heads you will use, but you arrow weight should also be the same to acquire same point of impact.

Hope this has helped you.