Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gold Tip Gladiator >

Gold Tip Gladiator

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gold Tip Gladiator

Old 02-05-2004, 11:19 PM

Default RE: Gold Tip Gladiator

arthur p explained it perfect...
Old 02-06-2004, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Humboldt, its not about what is the perfect range(that is different for everyone)...it's about what is an ethical shot to take. Taking a head shot at any distance is flat out stupid. Yeah you got him, but that is a VERY low percentage shot, and should never be taken IMO. The replies have nothing to be with you being a newbie. If you had 5000 posts, you'd get the same reply.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:34 PM

Okay guys we're gonna let this go now and start over, okay?

I thought I said I have a new Bowtech dually. I thought that pretty much told the story. I didn't think I needed to break it down, but here we go.

70 lb. Patriot Dually
29" GT/XT camo 75/95
Alum tip to make the Gladiator a 100 gr. head

I don't see where a 60 lb. daully with a 350 gr. set-up would have been any different.

The arrow traveled another 40' (approx) and buried into a full sized fir tree clear to the sap wood.

I've passed up many point blank head shots over the years and I am now one for one in over 30 years of archery experience. It's pretty obvious that this is not a common event. This was a good shot IMO and I'm sorry if some or most of you don't agree with that, but it truly was a perfect situation or I would NOT have taken the shot.

As far as the bragging, I didn't realize this to be anything to bragg about and if you knew me personally you'd know that I am very critical of myself and always play my accomplishments down to almost nothing.

Having said all that, can we please get past all this?

If you want to comment then help me on my fishing bow request. I could really use some constructive feedback on that topic.

Thanks

Boldt
Old 02-06-2004, 04:44 PM

I tried the Gladiators this year and liked them initally.

Scenario:
Small doe 14 yards broadside. At the shot, the arrow passes through and the doe runs 24 yards and expired. I was happy.

Climb down and found my arrow stuck in the dirt. No broadhead attached. I thought it may have been stuck in the dirt. Follow where the deer ran and 4 yards from where the deer lay, the ferrule with the 2 mech. blades lay. The fixed blades popped out. The broadhead broke where the composite meets the metal. I was now upset.

I will not shoot the Gladiators again until they are all metal. JME

By the way, I still think Gold Tip makes an awesome arrow.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought I said I have a new Bowtech dually. I thought that pretty much told the story. I didn't think I needed to break it down, but here we go.
Believe it or not, there are people that don't know what a BowTech dually is. You and everyone else that goes on these forums and starts bragging, extolling or gushing - whatever you want to call it- about how awesome their mechanicals do, really should give all that information. Mechanicals simply do not work out of just any setup you put the things on and, when people get the wrong idea and put mechs on the wrong setup, bad things happen.

Anyone wants to clear up mechanicals' bad reputation, they've got a responsibility to make sure others know what kind of rigs they're known to work well with.

And it's not just you. I call everyone to account on this. Just ask around. The folks that have been here a spell know it.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:51 PM

I don' know shinola about mechanical heads other than the experience I had with the Gladiators. I'll admit that they're a disposable broadhead, but aren't they all? I want a freshy everytime.

I've only ever used a fixed blade for years, but I truly do like the way the Gladiator works. That's why I posted.

I've learned a lot on my first post. I believe we're done here now and I can guarantee you I'll be more careful about what I let out from here on.

Thanks for all the dialogue.

Boldt
Old 02-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being a poor college student, i personally want my broadheads to last more than one shot. And if they fall apart on a passthrough, wouldnt they most likely fall apart going through a target to make sure they are flying properly?

PS.. Arthur.. It would be much easier if everyone posted what they were shooting in their sigs
Old 02-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

hboltd-thanks for the report on the glad's. i have 3 packs of them that i have not used. i was worried about them not opening. but i guess they do. im like you, they are cheap and disposable. i personally hate changing blades on mech bh's. for $9 for a 3 pack, i will trade a dead deer for a bent broadhead anyday.